3 replies to this topic

#1 kannjihyun

kannjihyun

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hi all,

I just switched from Canon 7D to Oly OMD. Really like the versatility of the camera, but also got some glitches from my previous experiences with it as well. 

The housing I own is Nauticam. The problem is that, when I want to switch from shooting stills to video mode, I just push the recording button. This would trigger the video recording function of the camera; however, the problem is that the aperture & shutter speed settings do not follow into the video mode. More specifically, It looks like pushing the video recording button would record the video using the "P" mode with average exposure metering. For example, I always shoot stills with underexposed ambient so the subject would be emphasize and lit by strobes, but when I hit the recording mode, the water suddenly become much lighter blue with a very pale subject.

For now, the only way for me to manually configure the exposure of the video is to turn the dial wheel of the camera to its designate video capturing mode, which is a bit troublesome.

Is there an easier way to switch from shooting stills to video capturing while retaining the setting from 'M' mode of the camera?

By the way, here is the footage of a thresher shark taken with OMD using the P? mode.

#2 DiveMasterDewey

DiveMasterDewey

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, photo-acoustics, RFID, Electronic Article Surveillance

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

I just tried this with an OM-D E-M5 and I do see the camera does what you say.

Summarizing....    If you have the OM-D E-M5 in manual mode for still photography etc, you have your aperture and shutter speed set for the image you want.  If you press the red button on top to instantly go to video mode, the camera will go into video "P" mode and has no regard for the settings you were using in manual mode for stills.  Apparently, It will go into video "P" mode regardless of the menu setting for video mode!

The 'solution' is to use the mode dial and change the camera from "m" mode (or "a" or whatever) into video mode.  If you used the menu to set the camera into "m" for video, then the camera video mode will be in "m" mode as soon as you do this and the video exposure will be as you have selected.

If the menu setting for video was "A", then the camera will use "A" when you switch to video mode, regardless of what mode you were using for stills.  So it may be best for your style to use the menu to set the movie mode to "M" before the dive.

Then when you switch to video mode, the camera will be in "M" mode for video regardless of what mode you were using for stills.

So for me if I am shooting stills and want to start shooting video at the same aperture, etc, I just have to change the mode dial to video, make changes to aperture and shutter if desired, BEFORE pressing the record button.

Edited by DiveMasterDewey, 23 May 2013 - 10:54 AM.

Alan Dewey
Reef Photo & Video
n2theblue at
reefphoto.com

S.D.I. Scuba Instructor

S.D.I. Underwater Photographer Instructor

www.AlanDewey.com

Telephone:  888-831-7636

#3 coroander

coroander

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Part of the reason that the OM-D works the way it does, is that it is unlikely that you want to shoot video at 1/250 of a second or 1/15 of a second, and you can't shoot video at ISOs higher than 3200. So the settings from manual stills are unlikely to be suitable for shooting video. You can get full manual control of video by switching to mode dial to [VIDEO].

Since the movie mode is next to manual on the mode dial, it's not that difficult to switch. The more complicated issue, i find, is switching my mind from shooting stills to video and so i really never shoot video if i'm taking stills. I also use somewhat different settings (Myset) for shooting video: http://wetpixel.com/...=48625&p=322618

#4 kannjihyun

kannjihyun

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

The 'solution' is to use the mode dial and change the camera from "m" mode (or "a" or whatever) into video mode.  If you used the menu to set the camera into "m" for video, then the camera video mode will be in "m" mode as soon as you do this and the video exposure will be as you have selected.

Since the movie mode is next to manual on the mode dial, it's not that difficult to switch. The more complicated issue, i find, is switching my mind from shooting stills to video and so i really never shoot video if i'm taking stills. I also use somewhat different settings (Myset) for shooting video: http://wetpixel.com/...=48625&p=322618

Exactly, changing to [video] mode using dial on my left thumb is also my current solution as well. It is just that I always confuse my self whether I should turn the wheel clockwise or anti-clockwise to enter the [video] mode. Having some button that just trigger the manual video functionality immediately would be a better solution for me. I do not mind configuring the exposure setting after changing into [video] mode, though. 

By the way, do you guys find the mode switching wheel a bit too stiff? Sometime, it's too hard that I had to remove my right hand from the grip just for turning the wheel. Not sure if the left thumb is too weak or the wheel is too stiff here... ;(