• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

I was testing out my new 12-50 lens with Nauticam port today and have experienced a bit of a problem.  I can switch from zoom to macro and in the zoom position I can zoom the lens in the wide direction but as soon as I release the zoom knob the lens pops back to the 43mm position.  I cannot  get it to hold at any setting wider than 43mm.  I also cannot zoom from 43 to 50mm.

Before I disassemble the zoom gear and try to sort out what is wrong I thought I would see if any of you fine folks have any insights into this.

Thanks

#2 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

I have not experienced this problem, but I have noted that assembly of the gear does require some care.  In particular the ring that goes onto the lens barrel must be correctly located.  I would try re-assembling

#3 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

I was testing out my new 12-50 lens with Nauticam port today and have experienced a bit of a problem.  I can switch from zoom to macro and in the zoom position I can zoom the lens in the wide direction but as soon as I release the zoom knob the lens pops back to the 43mm position.  I cannot  get it to hold at any setting wider than 43mm.  I also cannot zoom from 43 to 50mm.

Before I disassemble the zoom gear and try to sort out what is wrong I thought I would see if any of you fine folks have any insights into this.

Thanks

The 12 - 50mm locks the macro at 43mm - this is preset in the lens itself - so you wont be able to lock it any wider regardless of whether you have the gearing on or not.

Hope this helps.

Karl

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#4 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for the replies.  I spent a bit of time with this and figured out that my problem is that in the zoom position, the zoom gear tube is hitting the cradle that secures the camera in the housing.  I removed and reinstalled the zoom gear hoping it was not installed correctly, but that did not help and I am confident the zoom gear is properly installed.  I have contacted Nauticam and pending their instructions otherwise, I think I will have to get out the dremel and modify the cradle, or perhaps they can send me another one to see if it is thinner and doesn't obstruct the zoom gear.

#5 DiveMasterDewey

DiveMasterDewey

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, photo-acoustics, RFID, Electronic Article Surveillance

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

What camera / housing are you using? 

Alan Dewey
Reef Photo & Video
n2theblue at
reefphoto.com

S.D.I. Scuba Instructor

S.D.I. Underwater Photographer Instructor

www.AlanDewey.com

www.AlanDewey.Photography

#6 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

Gx1 and Nauticam housing for same.

#7 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

It may be that a slight tray modification is in order for this lens/gear setup.

We had a similar issue with the NA-EPL3, the tray had been designed prior to this lens being introduced so a small piece had to be removed from the tray to accommodate the gearing mechanism. 

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#8 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Yes, I am just waiting to hear back from Nauticam to confirm whether I should modify the one I have or if they have an updated version I can get instead of taking out the dremel tool.  I am not always the "handiest" kind of person and am a little hesitant to hack this one up without at least hearing that is the way to go.

#9 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

Draq,

I have no idea how the small piece that has to be removed looks like, but if you have two left hands with five thumbs on each maybe you can ask your dentist if he can do the job for you or find a dental lab who can do this - costs you maybe a bottle of wine or so.

Jock

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200