• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Both my subtronic are misbehaving and driving me to distraction.

The error led lights up on one upon power up there after extinguishes. It work intermittently thereafter. Any ideas what this error led indicates?

Also both don t trigger reliably even with the pilot light on and them sitting the ready state. Could this be due to a voltage drop somewhere along the connection, from hotshoe to strobe?

It is not due to cords, connectors or batteries as I have eliminated these. Also shooting direct so no TTL circuitry to confuse the issues.
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:10 AM

Junk them and get Hartenbergers! Some germans are better than others. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:32 AM

What model and year are you using? Subtronics are/were known for giving problems every once in a while, and they did to me too (I have three of them and they have been to Germany several times, costing me a lot of money). It seems the last time they did it right and have been working properly the last two years...

Do your strobes have a Test position you can check with?

Drew, what Hartys do you have? and what dimensions do they have? I have always been tempted by them but the size of one of my friends´Hartenberger was too big (for the same reason I don´t give a lot of use to my Seacam 350s)

D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#4 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:17 AM

Junk them and get Hartenbergers! Some germans are better than others. :)

I wish I has a spare 4'000 euros lying around :)

Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#5 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

Please see below my mail to Subtronic. The italics are their very very prompt response for anyone with the same issue in the future

Hi,

I have a subtronic Nova strobe that is displaying an issues, whereby the error LED lights up upon power up and then stops as the pilot light comes on. The happens even when there is no sync cord attached and with a variety of battery packs.
This is normally no problem, some Novas lights the error LED on Power up

I also have an issue where the strobes do not trigger reliably even when thought they are sitting in the ready state. Is this due to a voltage drop across the trigger circuit? (I am using a Canon 1D 4, in a sea cam housing with no TTL circuitry).
Do you only have connect Sync (Pin1)  and Ground (Pin3)? See connection diagram. If you have connect more than this 2 pins the camera may have problems to fire a flash.

I am based in South Africa and have another project coming up soon for which I would like to use the strobes, so would prefer to order parts rather than send the strobes for service.

Any information that you can provide would be most useful.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by ErolE, 27 May 2013 - 03:23 AM.

Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

I use the 250hs. Also had a 625 I bought 2nd hand but it was lost in luggage in Feb. :(

They've been reliable but any issues requires sending it back to germany, which isn't fun. Hartenberger does not accept FedEx from non EU countries. And they require photo copies of credit cards etc to prevent fraud. In the age of PayPal, that's pretty archaic.

They aren't small but what 250w strobe is?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.