• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:33 AM

Here we go again. The Magic Lantern team pull another rabbit of of the magic hat that is RAW. One of the ML members by the name of Julian, did a low light test with the ML hacked Canon ES 50D....remember that one? I am yet again gobsmacked. At H2 which is 12800 ISO!!! ??? This camera do not even have video function in the first place and its five years old! Apparently Canon 40D also works. Now I better go look for my old canons and dust them off. These cameras has just been given a new least of life. Lucky I did not sell my 50D as the prices in the resale market was as low as USD 300.00. Might not be any more if ML makes these firmwares stable. I will be doing my tests now the Komputer CF cards has arrived.

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

You've gone ML crazy. It's not even full HD. And you don't need UDMA 7 cards with the older cameras since it won't work anyhow. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Since I have the Canon 50D. Might as well make full use of it. Still early days. Certainly this could replace my GH2. Less banding problem with RAW footage.

UDMA 7 is for my 5D MIII. Sorry did not make that clear.

The 1592 x 840 looks okay in a Full HD screen. Good enough for the internet or vimeo. Fits all my Canon lenses. Also makes a perfect crash cam ;)

ML crazy ? May be. I am crazy a long time ago. You would be crazy to think that what ML doing is trivial. Thank goodness for people like ML plus few others like Vitaly and driftwood. Its fun. I do not agree with what big company like Canon like to think we need. 

Hey until the BMD pocket cam come along  you can't go wrong with a little experimentation with the ML hack.

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

It's  a pity Nikon doesn't have a ML following.  The D4 is perfect for what is happening to the 5D3.  XQD for 2.5k raw at least with noise performance unequaled and better yet, S35 and other crop modes.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

V1 has a hack. Okay not DSLR.

4K at 60p but a pain to string bits of footage together. Unreliable and tiny sensor is rather limited. I am sure someone or a group is trying. Nikon themselves?   Nikon has no videocam product to protect so that is a perfect premise to start a Nikon DSLR shooting raw video. If their live view "raw" is ported similar to canon's then who knows. Just hack the D800 and with 36 mp raw footage. Buy gazillions of GB or TB cards.  At the moment I am just happy to use my 5D MIII. 

Amazing time to be shooting video.

#6 Blue Screen Productions

Blue Screen Productions

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

Any samples of 1080p raw from the Mk3?

#7 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:11 AM

There are plenty of samples on vimeo if you search for 'magic lantern raw'. I've yet to see any from underwater, but I've also been testing it topside. Very nice result but it's a pain to process and eats through memory cards.

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website