• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Screen Productions

Blue Screen Productions

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:14 AM

This movie was filmed during a trip to Bali (Lembongan), Indonesia in 2012.

My girlfriend and I dived and snorkelled several times at a location called "Manta Bay" off the adjacent island of Nusa Penida. The Manta Rays congregate there to feed and mingle, however they are joined by a large collection of rubbish from the nearby island of Bali. The rubbish is so dense that it regularly enters the mantas mouths while they are trying to feed. This movie was created to not only exhibit the beauty of the Manta Rays of Nusa Penida but also to demonstrate the excessive garbage problem now hindering the coastlines surrounding Bali.

Watch in HD

Filmed: Nicholas Hart
Edited: Nicholas Hart and Susan Tong

Camera: Canon 600D
Lens: Tokina 10-17mm
Housing: Ikelite

Song: Billy Joel - And So It Goes

Special Thanks to Scooby Doo Hotel and Lembongan Dive Center.

Blue Screen Productions 2013

#2 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

Nice video! I like the fact that you mention the plastic problem, all over the world this is becoming a bigger and bigger problem, something that we need to get out to the general public in order to stop it.

Having dived Manta-Point weekly for the past three years I have also had my share of dives there were there was rubbish in the water.

I think we can all agree that it is horrible, but for anyone watching this it should also be mentioned that this is not a year round problem, in my experience we have rubbish in the water on approximately 1/25 dives'ish. 

Best regards, Morten

Edited by MortenHansen, 28 May 2013 - 03:56 AM.

#3 Blue Screen Productions

Blue Screen Productions

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:15 AM

Glad you enjoyed the video, we mightve have arrived during the heavy rubbish season on Bali but the rubbish was there almost everyday in varying quantities.

#4 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for posting .. one of my 'dives to do' is Mantas in Indo ... this garbage in the water is awful. I am actually a little bit shocked when i sit back and think of how they are filter feeders. I hate it when i get a hair in my mouth when eating.

I will share this with my friends pass on some awareness.

me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#5 Blue Screen Productions

Blue Screen Productions

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

Thanks Giles, regardless of the rubbish I still highly recommend the manta dive at Nusa Penida.

#6 Eddcar

Eddcar

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for the video.  I was in Nusa Penida a few years back for observing Manta rays and that the issue of pollution in the sea wasn't as serious as seen in the video maybe becoz of timing or it does worsen over time.  I'm sharing this video hoping everyone would aware of the importance of protecting the environment and thus protecting all species on Earth. 

#7 decimal86

decimal86

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

thks for the vid..shame about the garbage though, potentially fatal to the Mantas?

I dived in Ambon once and in comparison, this is pristine waters!! I see the village folks automatically sweep the roads and dump their garbage into the sea.

#8 Blue Screen Productions

Blue Screen Productions

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks guys, not sure what effect plastics have on mantas.

The rubbish management in Bali is non existent, they will only fix it once it actually effects their tourism.