• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 norinori

norinori

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

I recently picked up a used Panny LX3 housing 10bar and ikelite 110a strobe, after realizing it didn't support TTL out of the box, I picked up a Heinrichsweikamp TTL converter.

So with the strobe set to TTL, when I use aperture priority, the shutter speed seems to stay at 1/30, which would cause problems and be too slow to freeze action underwater.  Is this a limitation(or feature) of the camera ? 

Am I better off using shutter priority and setting it to 1/125 ?

I know I can use manual as well and pick both settings, but I don't understand why the camera sticks with such a slow shutter speed when it has the available light from the strobe to do something quicker.

Edited by norinori, 30 May 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1498 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Far better I think is to use manual mode and set the shutter and aperture independently and then you can choose your strobe settings as you see fit. I think that the camera doesn't "know" that a strobe is attached when it is in the housing.

Bill

Edited by bvanant, 30 May 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 norinori

norinori

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

The camera know's there is a flash and that it is TTL, there is an icon that lights up on the screen.

It seems to default to 1/30 for every aperture I set it at.  I think this was the behavior for old camera's based off of the flash synch speeds, but I would have thought with a modern flash and camera it would do something much faster

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1498 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

That is very strange, since I believe that the camera can sync at very high speeds (like 1/1000).  Something must be set funny somewhere else.  Does the camera indeed sync correctly in manual at 1/500 sec say?

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 norinori

norinori

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

I'll give that a try and post back

#6 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

The behavior you mention is not unusual. The camera will default to the lowest ISO and then to multiple of the focal length. If you are in really dark conditions and the camera hits the max ISO or you have already set the ISO it will go as low as 1/30 The camera believes the internal flash can compensate -3 or -2 Ev so even if you change the xposure compensation nothing happens Best option is to shoot in manual, the LX5 flash is still TTL

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#7 norinori

norinori

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

Thanks. I played around with it this weekend and found that the metering just loves 1/30 when the flash is attached. If I point it directly at a light I can get the shutterspeed up higher, but even with a brightly lit subject, it favors 1/30.  As for ISO, in AUTO mode, it appears to be pegged at 100, even if its dark.  Alternatively, and strangely, if I manually pick a high ISO, it seems like it doesnt properly account for it in the metering, and the picture comes out over exposed.

#8 norinori

norinori

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

That is very strange, since I believe that the camera can sync at very high speeds (like 1/1000).  Something must be set funny somewhere else.  Does the camera indeed sync correctly in manual at 1/500 sec say?

Bill

Setting it to a higher speed seems to work ok.

But yea, I unfortunately I think I'll be limited to shutter priority and manual modes...

#9 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:13 AM

As I said most compact cameras do not perform real metering when the internal strobe is set to on but they default to most friendly values for a correct exposure or so they think Use manual mode with forced flash and you will get your reading correctly. Shutter speed 1/125 or more aperture whatever you need and ISO what is needed to expose correctly

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog