Photo
- - - - -

Is the IkeLite underwater housing good for the Canon 60D?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ricke

ricke

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Hi, I'm researching my first camera enclosure for my Canon EOS 60D.   I heard great things about the Nauticam but its very pricey for my current budget.

I was looking at the IkeLite underwater housing (Canon 60D DSLR - Product # 6870.60) and it looks like its a good possibility but I was wondering if folks would recommend it.   Its direct URL is:

http://ikelite.com/w...wo/can_60d.html

If I did get the IkeLite housing does it make sense to go with a matching IkeLite strobe or is that not necessary?

I also need to decide if for my first setup, if I need two strobes or if one is sufficient for starting out.

Thanks for any tips,

Rick

#2 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Any reason this is posted in film cameras? Ikelite housings are ok, the ergonomy could be better (especially the wheels used for wheel controls on the camera, in contrast with other housings the top wheel is not permanently touching the camera so it is slower to use). If possible get an inon or nauticam viewfinder, that improves it quite a bit. As for strobes. The ttl function is build in so it makes sense to use ikelites if you want that. It does work great with macro. On the other hand, they can give some troubles ( I've had fliods for unknown reasons with my ds51 so i had to call on ikelites service department a couple of times, they are great at service but I'd rather not have to). It is easier to start with one strobe, you can always get a second one later.
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#3 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

I am a bit confused with the direction of the sync bulkhead on the 60d housing: my 20d housing aims it very different.
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#4 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hi, I'm researching my first camera enclosure for my Canon EOS 60D.   I heard great things about the Nauticam but its very pricey for my current budget.

I was looking at the IkeLite underwater housing (Canon 60D DSLR - Product # 6870.60) and it looks like its a good possibility but I was wondering if folks would recommend it.   Its direct URL is:

http://ikelite.com/w...wo/can_60d.html

If I did get the IkeLite housing does it make sense to go with a matching IkeLite strobe or is that not necessary?

I also need to decide if for my first setup, if I need two strobes or if one is sufficient for starting out.

Thanks for any tips,

Rick

Rick,

Ikelite has a lot of things going for them.  I can't speak directly about the 60d.  But I have had 3 housings from them, 2 5d mark ii's, a 1 10d.  The price of the ikelite is much cheaper than all the rest of the housing out there.  And their service is terrific especially since you are in the USA.  The things I like about them are:
-  cost
-  you can see inside the housing
-  TTL with the housing (really only good for macro however)
-  great service
-  made in the usa

However,  having said all of that.  My next housing will be aluminum, leaning towards nauticam next, but will see.  They do have negatives.
-  more fragile if dropped
- buttons tend to stick (I sent mine in and they drilled holes and put in stiffer springs, haven't had a problem since)
-  The port system is terrible when connecting to the housing
-  The port system is limited from a lens standpoint.  can't do the 16-35 II in it....and the distances for the 8-15mm fisheye and 15mm fisheye, have the same port extensions.  but they are drasctically different legnth lenses.  ultimatly it isn't the proper distance away from the dome.  affecting image quality.
-  Can't get third party domes (zen domes)
-  The port locks are plastic and could break easily.

For me, ikelite has allowed me to get into the underwater photography/video.  But the more serious you get about it, you will ultimatley want to go for a aluminum housing.  If you aren't stuck on going new, you can always check the classifieds here on wetpixel as people are selling used housings all the time.  My bet is you could find a 7d setup with camera pretty cheap.  just a thought.

On the strobes, if you go ikelite housing it makes sense to do the strobes as well.  I would go with 2 if you can.  again, check into some used ones.

hope that helps

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

I agree with Dustin,

i used started with 2 Ikelite housings until i switched to a aluminium housing, mainly for "more sturdy" and optical reasons.

I still believe that a Ikelite housing is a very good, economic solution for a non professional or advanced hobby photographer living in the USA.

For people not living in the USA, having troubles with the housing lead to a long and expensive shipping and custom clearance process to get

things fixed by Ikelite and this is for me their biggest flaw as i don't live in the states.

Ikelite is certainly a very experienced company and a lot of underwater pictures where made with Ikelite housings but today with high resolution

cameras and lenses the optical quality of their ports is not on the current and the port latch looks cheap and flimsy even if it is much more sturdy

than it looks.

If you buy the Ikelite housing you should also use their strobes, bulky and heavy strobes but powerful and with a nice color temperature and they work wonderful with the

ikelite TTL Controller built in the housing.

But the way with buying a used aluminium housing or bettera complete rig is maybe the way to jump directly in the upper class of housings and there are always nice

offers to bid on.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website