13 replies to this topic

#1 steviet

steviet

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

Hi All,

I'm trying to remove the 16mm bulkhead plug in my NA-7d housing and having a bear if a time with it. What tool did you use to remove yours?

Thanks,
Steve

#2 Nicool

Nicool

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

I think you can do it with a coin, for instance 2 Euros would do, depends on where you live :-)

#3 MarkD

MarkD

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

Large slotted screwdriver, with blade covered in insulating tape to avoid damage to the anodising of the fitting. I couldn't get enough purchase with a coin (no pun intended).

Mark

#4 steviet

steviet

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:59 AM

Large slotted screwdriver, with blade covered in insulating tape to avoid damage to the anodising of the fitting. I couldn't get enough purchase with a coin (no pun intended).

Mark

Thanks for the responses but this isn't a slotted plug. It's got two holes for some type of spanner wrench that I don't have. Can't seem to post pics in the forum to show.

#5 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Long nosed pliers in that case. Where are you based?

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#6 steviet

steviet

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hi Alex,
I actually snapped a pair already, and marred up the anodized plug, but I thought I found the right tool at my third hardware store. Unfortunately, it's not adjustable enough, and besides that the diameter of the posts it has are too wide. No luck, I'll have to find another pair of needle nose that have some strength to them. I feel like a tool for this should have come with the housing or just use slotted plugs. Anyway...

Thanks,
Steve

Edited by steviet, 02 June 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#7 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Mark

As most housings have these type of plugs a coin seems to be the best fit i use a small adjustable on the coin it works OK for me. :)

regards,

Andy

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#8 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Take the housing to an auto parts store and get a

'spring clip plier' to match the two pin holes.

Long nodes pliers are hardened and do not have the tensile strength to be used in the way you are trying..

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#9 steviet

steviet

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Take the housing to an auto parts store and get a
'spring clip plier' to match the two pin holes.
Long nodes pliers are hardened and do not have the tensile strength to be used in the way you are trying..

Thanks for the tip, but those aren't working either. The tips are too small no matter which one I've tried, they just can't get enough torque to spin the bulkhead because there is too much slop. Frustrating because its so close but so far.... I'm curious to know what exact tool you used?

Steve

#10 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3068 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hi Steve,

The folks at Nauticam tell me that the recommended tool to use for the fitting is a pin style spanner wrench like the ones in the Mcmaster Carr catalog.  The guys at the shop though use a pair of circlip pliers with heavy tips.  I'd love to know if you find something economical to use.  I'll keep looking and post back if I find a tool that works well.

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#11 nikonscubadiver

nikonscubadiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hi Steve

I have had goo luck with a watch tool. http://www.harborfre...ener-91550.html

http://www.amazon.co...sl_84rlws6f8x_b

Roger

#12 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3068 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

Thanks Roger, that looks like it would work well with the correct pin dia.   I'll give it a try.

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#13 steviet

steviet

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:51 AM

Hi Steve,
The folks at Nauticam tell me that the recommended tool to use for the fitting is a pin style spanner wrench like the ones in the Mcmaster Carr catalog.  The guys at the shop though use a pair of circlip pliers with heavy tips.  I'd love to know if you find something economical to use.  I'll keep looking and post back if I find a tool that works well.

Cheers,
Steve

Yeah, thanks for that Steve. No one wants to say which exact tool they are using, I'm tired of buying the wrong tool for this 'simple' problem. It looks like the diameter of the holes on the screw are ~1.5mm.

I've ordered a tool from amazon that is similar to the one that roger recommended, but it's going to take 2 more weeks to get here from china. I'll post a link to it when I get it and see if it works. They're so cheap I might buy the one for harbor freight and try it out before the one for china gets here.

Edited by steviet, 19 June 2013 - 02:54 AM.

#14 steviet

steviet

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:55 AM

Hi Steve
I have had goo luck with a watch tool. http://www.harborfre...ener-91550.html

http://www.amazon.co...sl_84rlws6f8x_b

Roger

Thanks for that roger, I might try that one out if I can figure out if the posts range between 1.5-2mm