• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 folivier1

folivier1

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

The Oly OMD seems like it has just about everything I want in a mirrorless system for underwater.  Although I haven't held one yet the reviews sound good.  

What about the Canon or Nikon mirror less cameras?  

One thing I do need is a viewfinder so that eliminates quite a few other ones.

Has anyone heard of any new cameras coming out this year?

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:35 AM

The attraction of the Olympus and Panasonic cameras is the range of lenses available for them. They are expensive, but there is everything you could need, save a teleconverter.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

I think the micro four thirds is now a fairly mature system with a good range of lenses and wide user base and I love the size.  I have no desire to change from it, and for me the "waiting" is to see if I will like the new GX Panasonic body and if Nauticam will house it.  I have a slight preference for the Panasonic user interface over the Olympus or I would already have an OMD.  If you need a viewfinder then the OMD seems a pretty clear choice unless you want to go big, and then there are all kinds of arguments Nikon vs Canon.  Good luck.

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1497 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

I think neither Canon nor Nikon are very interested in creating a mirrorless environment that would ultimately cannibalize their DSLR world.  As Alex says, except for a teleconverter the u4/3 world seems mostly complete with good wide angle and macro capabilities.  I am still hoping that the NEX world catches up at a reasonable price but macro in that world still seems underwhelming.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net