#1 bear35

bear35

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hi,

Please can someone help me! :unsure:

I have just got an Olympus 60mm lens to start taking some macro pictures and I am trying to use manual settings rather than auto. I am stuck when it comes to moving the shutter speed above 160 when the flash is on. I have tried to look at the instructions but they don't mention anything.

Is it a problem with this sort of camera or am I doing something wrong?

#2 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

You're not doing anything wrong.  The maximum flash sync speed of the E-PM1 is 1/160.  Once you attach the flash the maximum shutter speed you can set is locked at 1/160.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Gudge is correct that is a limitation of this camera I believe the EM-5 has 1/250 sync speed but any other mirrorless from Olympus stops at 1/160 For macro your starting point is f/22 ISO200 and 1/160 Unfortunately at those shutter speeds it will be near to impossible to have black background

#4 bear35

bear35

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

Thank you for your replys guys. I think it may be time to upgrade.

#5 battleaxe

battleaxe

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

You could always just use an external flash, which should go around that limit, and would cost less than getting a new body(though a new E-PL5/6 does sound a bit tempting once they get to E-PL3 prices). 

#6 ChristianG

ChristianG

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

(though a new E-PL5/6 does sound a bit tempting once they get to E-PL3 prices). 

I'd be rather wary of Olympus ATM. 

They've just announced discontinuance of all of their P&S Line of cameras and they "have form" otherwise of abandoning their customers - their DSLR line (also discontinued when they virtually invented the mirrorless camera) is one of two examples I could name.

Having said that, I think they make some great camera gear and I really hope they don't go away entirely to concentrate on their profitable medical division.

There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG

#7 battleaxe

battleaxe

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

Well not to get off topic, but the rumors going around is Olympus plans to bring out a model one step above the OMD, and will allow users to use 4/3 and m4/3 lenses. So, I can't say they are really abandoning their DSLR users, just wanting to move them to their mirrorless system. 

Edited by battleaxe, 23 June 2013 - 06:55 PM.