46 replies to this topic

#41 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

Fred-

I am  in Bali Feb 8-9, 2014 but will have the 200 by then. If you are in Bali at that time lets get together.

Tom

#42 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:01 AM

Hi Tom,

I don't anticipate being in Bali in February.  I'll probably be at home in Florida or off in another direction.  The date you mention are shortly after the Boot show in Düsseldorf and so I might be in Europe.  Since you mention only two days I'm guessing that you will be passing thru enroute to somewhere like Raja Ampat.  

If you would like to exchange more info on the 200mm or other lenses you could send me a private message with additional contact info and we could use that for things that aren't of general interest on Wetpixel.  There is always the chance that I might come out west to do some diving in Caifornia.  Or a trip to do some shooting in some of the western national parks.

Fred

#43 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Hello All,

Here are some new shots taken with the Nikon 200mm Micro-nikkor in combination with the 6T close-up lens.  

The first three are of a small lizardfish about the length of my finger.  The first shot is taken at the minimum magnification which is about .6x, then a shot at an intermediate magnification, and finally one at maximum magnification which is about 1.8x.  These are jpgs made directly from the Nikons raw NEFs with no cropping or adjustments of any sort, not even to the exposure.

Also two shots of a pair of small Doto nudibranchs laying eggs on a hydroid.  One shot at near minimum magnification the other at or near maximum magnification.  The larger of the two Doto's is about about 8mm in length.  What is nice is that the sharpness of the optical combination is good enough that you can see individual eggs in the egg ribbon the nudibranchs have laid.

Fred

Attached Images

• 200mm+T6 @ .6x #A.jpg
  • 200mm+T6 @ mid?x #B.jpg
  • 200mm+T6 @ 1.8x #C.jpg
  • 200mm+T6 @ .6x #D.jpg
  • 200mm+T6 @ 1.8?x #E.jpg

#44 dhowie01

dhowie01

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:photography and video , SLR

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

Great photos Fred

Thanks for sticking to the subject and providing an explanation and examples. If others can produce better photos shot in and shot out, why don't they publish them.

When following this thread, I find it hard to understand why others are not giving us the benefit of their experience by providing a comprehensive assessment of the issue and some test shots. This would help us less experienced, as your descriptions do.

Don

don

#45 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

The two nudi's are a great shot.

#46 DocTock

DocTock

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

So why does one need to use the 6T diopter?

How does the 200mm f/4 micro shoot on it's own underwater?

What kind of realistic working distance does one need if housed with a flat port on a FX DSLR?

Edited by DocTock, 05 November 2013 - 08:53 PM.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#47 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

Used alone, the 200mm Micro-nikkor focuses down to only 1:1, the same as most other true macro lenses offered by Nikon, Canon, Sigma, and other lens manufacturers.  But compared to a Nikon 105mm, the 200mm would require almost twice the working distance, the water between the front of the housing port and the subject.  And too often this extra water distance would result in a less sharp image.  The advantage of using this lens with T6 close-up lens is that the water distance is reduced to a workable 8-18" while the maximum magnification is increased to 1.8x life-size, a very significant increase over the1.0x of the lens alone.  And does this while maintaining a maximum aperture of about f4 to f5.3 for focusing accuracy and viewfinder brightness.

Fred