6 replies to this topic

#1 calypso3

calypso3

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:diving, sailing, mountainbike

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Nikkor 20 mm f2, 8... a valid lens for underwater use with the D800? It is an economic lens, small and light, excellent optical quality. Someone uses it?

#2 vbpress

vbpress

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi Claudio,

we have to menage the same problems ... I've made some shot with my oldest Nikon AF 20/2.8 (non D) on Nikon D800, and they are quite good.

But the significative comparison is with 17-35/2.8, or the newest 16-35/4 (but I've only the first), in a housing system with a huge dome port.

I'm very interested about this argument too.

by 

Valerio

------------------------------------

http://fotobestiali.blogspot.it/

#3 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

I used to habitually use the 20mm nikkor on my 35mm film cameras. It needs quite a strong dioptre close-up lens to get a sharp image from side to side. I used it on my D700 to photograph manta rays at Nusa Penida once and immediately wished I'd stuck with the 15mm fish-eye!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#4 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

I've not tried a Nikon 20mm lens but the Canon equivalent fixed focal 20mm is not very good on digital above water and worse underwater - I sold mine off quite quickly after having tried it. I suspect that the problem is the pre-digital design of the lens (same with Nikon) and it simply wasn't well suited to digital (full-frame). I've come across similar comments about Nikon 20s so its worth having a look on the web at revues to see if they share the Canon's relatively poor performance.

Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#5 vbpress

vbpress

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

Sometime on the web we read a lot of  strange indications, and sometime I think that there are a lot of people that love the newest without a critical approach to the real necessity.

In my personal experience the NiKon AF 20/2.8 on D3-D700 camera sensor is a good tool, in terms of optical performance. The difference is about AF performance, it's absolutely obvious that the oldest lens offer a very slow  focus speed (and sometime a non particular precise focusing, but we talk about a wide lens intrinsically "field deeper" )

So, next week probably I'll be able to measure a real difference between the lenses 20/2.8 AF, 17-35/2.8 and, more, 8-16 Sigma on MDX D800 with big acrylic Sea&Sea Fisheye Dome port. It should be an answer to the original question, but honestly I've preferred to read here some indications (I'm a bad tester).

by 

Edited by vbpress, 07 June 2013 - 07:28 AM.

Valerio

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

I think that the 20mm is a waste of a D800. It is OK for occasional use, but not the best option.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 vbpress

vbpress

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Ok, thank you Alex!!

I'm happy to know that, so I can prevent a dive with a wrong tool. You know, it is very annoying  to discover that only at the end of the dive!

thanks a lot

Edited by vbpress, 07 June 2013 - 07:56 AM.

Valerio