7 replies to this topic

#1 chphoto

chphoto

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could help me make a decision. 

At this point I am using Olympus EP-L1 camera with Olympus housing and Olympus strobes + 9-18mm lens. I love the way it works. Quite well for my needs. 

The only problem is that I am trying to make my travel gear as compact as possible. I also own RX100, so I was wondering if it would make sense to use that camera as my dive camera as well. I am not too concerned about the flashes - I always use them in manual mode. My main concerns are around controls and lens limitations. 

The questions that I have:

1) Is there way to use flashes with Ikelite housing, of Nautica is the only way to go.

2) How well do controls work on either Ikelite or Nautica

3) 28mm of RX100 is not too wide. Are the wide angle/ fisheye adapters are good optical quality wise. 

Any other thoughts would be appreciated!

Best regards,
Eugene

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

1. You may want to read this http://www.scubaboar...sony-rx100.html
2. as above. I have had the Nauticam it is impressive
3. There are plenty of wet lenses working with the RX100 look into the photo gallery section for northwest diver

Edited by Interceptor121, 06 June 2013 - 01:07 PM.

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

RX 100 is one of the compact digital cameras having the most extensive list of housing. There must be one for you. Usually we shoot using manual mode with strobes...and do your two strobe have TTLs....?

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home

#4 diveski01

diveski01

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, skiing, camping.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

I have just ordered the RX100 and Nauticam housing, but seriously considered the Ikelite as my current rig is an Ikelite with Fuji e900.  I've been using S&S strobe in slave mode triggered by the camera's internal flash (blocked by diverter panel that attaches around the lens port) and S&S fiber optic cable.  I have always used strobes in manual setting mode, never in TTL.  If I could see better, and had more time to dive, this set up can take fabulous photos.  Others with same set up have been very successful.  I remain unconvinced that TTL matters for u/w strobes if you already know how to shoot with manual camera settings.

Becki Gibson

#5 gianlara

gianlara

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hi I want to buy a camera and I wonder what kind of camera I am going to buy

for someone newbie like me. I really want to take pictures anywhere even underwater

but I need to know first what kind of camera I am going to buy.

nikon dslr camera bag

Edited by gianlara, 05 July 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#6 BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:43 AM

I have also been considering the RX100. I own an Olympus E-PL5 but don't have a housing.

I would like to have the versatility of being able to use wet lenses and there don't seem to be many options for doing this with the E-PL5. On the other hand the RX100 would give me this versatility. However that would also mean the expense of a new camera when I already own the Olympus. Not sure which way to go as yet.

#7 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

I have also been considering the RX100. I own an Olympus E-PL5 but don't have a housing.

I would like to have the versatility of being able to use wet lenses and there don't seem to be many options for doing this with the E-PL5. On the other hand the RX100 would give me this versatility. However that would also mean the expense of a new camera when I already own the Olympus. Not sure which way to go as yet.

I am quite sure buddies around me, with EPL5 housing also uses a lot of wet lenses, mostly macro and super wide.

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home

#8 diveski01

diveski01

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, skiing, camping.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

I have received generous information regarding housings and lenses from a few of the well known u/w photog stores.  They can usually tell you exactly which lenses work well with which cameras and housings and what adapters are required.  Granted, they will first support the items that they sell, so it's a good idea to ask around to see just how many options there are available for your camera.

http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/

http://reefphoto.com/shop/

http://www.backscatter.com/

Becki Gibson