5th year running...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 writepic

writepic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:diving, taking photos and making films, my family, my friends, chocolate icecream.......

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi all, 

Just to let you know that we have one or two spots on our popular basking shark trips based out of Mull. We have several block booked weeks, but during some interim weeks between the mid to end of July there are some trips made up of individuals passengers that have one or two spaces free per trip. These are either aboard our day boat/cottage accommodation, or for this year we have started a small live aboard trip. We tested it out last week and I can honestly say it worked extremely well and is something we will be doing again in the future. 

Please let me know if you would like to take advantage of diving (snorkelling) with these sharks with a friendly and experienced team. Increasingly friendly seals are also possible on this trip - as well as some very respectable macro opportunities. 

For a taster, take a look at Simon Spear's Solstice that was shot with us a couple or three years ago. 

http://www.acuatours...-sharks-uk.html

Thanks,

Mark.

[font=Lucida Console]http://eyemocean.blogspot.com

#2 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm going to be on the 28th July - 2nd August trip if anyone wants to join in the fun and I'm very happy to offer any advice on how to get the best results in these conditions.  In addition to your own filming/photography kit I'll also have a host of cameras with me that you can play with (PMW200, FS100, 7D).

Cheers, Simon

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

I'd echo Simon that this is highly recommended. But it is not shark, shark, shark. Baskers are a subject that you have to put the time in to get. This is not a trip where the critters are there from 9am day 1.

But that said, I'm very sad that I can't make this trip this year. It has yielded some of my most memorable images, that have also done well for me. My well known gaping basking shark was taken up there, here on display in London (hidden slightly on the end of third row back):

969217_10151694725577437_644271600_n.jpg

But there are plenty of other subjects too. This grey seal in the same exhibition was shot on the same trip:

382522_10151879853075507_2082569932_n.jp

And this one is a common/harbour seal. I hope to make it up there next year for another go at these:

UK12_am-11302.jpg

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).