• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

http://www.avaaz.org...l_Park/?agMaOeb

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#2 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#3 jander4454

jander4454

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

I've signed

Sony NEX-5 in Nauticam with Inon D-2000 flashes

#4 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:10 AM

Me too. What is happening at Ras seems to have happened already further south. I had a trip there last month - about 140kms south of Marsa Alam based at Lahami Bay. We went on some day boat trips out into the Fury Shoals and were stunned by the lack of fish. OK, plenty of anthias and such around the coral heads and a few small groups (I hesitate to call them shoals) of goatfish and small snappers of maybe 20/30 individuals - but just lots of clear water with almost nothing in it. The last time I went south was ten years ago (Brothers) and the change is phenomenal.
We asked our Egyptian run dive centre about it, hoping perhaps it was a seasonal issue but no, they said it was all down to unregulated over-fishing. They also said that close inshore among the shallow reefs which are inaccessible to fishermen, the fish life was still good. We then did a lot of shore diving and found they were right. Spent a lot of dives on the hotel house reef at no more than 8m depth with a huge variety of fish and many of good size.
I don't know if this accords with the experiences of Red Sea regulars but I must say I found it pretty depressing.

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#5 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Signed it and put it on my Facebook page.

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com