#1 Michael

Michael

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hello Wetpixel,

The Daily Mail (UK) just ran a nice portfolio of my images from my May 26-June 1, 2013 Cat Island trip. Despite the horrible weather, it worked out in the end. A huge thanks to Epic Diving for making things happen out there.

Note: There is a very nice video embedded in the feature. It's not mine; I don't shoot video. It was shot by Vince Canabal of Epic.

Note 2: The feature has a sensationalist headline - I didn't write it, I just answered the agency's questions.

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

Enjoy & all the best,

Michael Patrick O'Neill

www.mpostock.com

#2 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

...and they paid you nothing for it, I bet.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#3 Michael

Michael

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

...Ha! I bet they pay better than Diver Magazine!  :mocking:

#4 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

I certainly hope so.

This is what I got from the Telegraph:

Hi John

We would like to do something for the website if that's ok, but unfortunately don't have an online budget. Would you be able to tell us a bit more about how the images were taken and why this shark was so friendly? (Was he being fed?!) And if we could use a few images in return for a credit and links to your website etc that would be great.

Let me know and we can do something this morning

Many thanks

Natalie

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#5 mcliffy2

mcliffy2

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

Talk about a "bait and switch"....They ask you "why was the shark friendly?" and then throw "man-eating sharks" in the title of the article.  Sigh....

#6 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:42 AM

I think Diver Magazine has decided to avoid paying for content as well.

#7 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

Hello Wetpixel,

The Daily Mail (UK) just ran a nice portfolio of my images from my May 26-June 1, 2013 Cat Island trip. Despite the horrible weather, it worked out in the end. A huge thanks to Epic Diving for making things happen out there.

Note: There is a very nice video embedded in the feature. It's not mine; I don't shoot video. It was shot by Vince Canabal of Epic.

Note 2: The feature has a sensationalist headline - I didn't write it, I just answered the agency's questions.

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

Enjoy & all the best,

Michael Patrick O'Neill

www.mpostock.com

Very cool.  Nice work too.

Joe

@ John B, the frustrating part of Diver mag is that they purchase most of their images from stock sites now because it's much cheaper.  And my buddy Eric Hanauer was just telling me at the dive show in Long Beach that the mags that do pay, pay SH^T.  He is fed up with writing for nothing, so he visits the mermaids a lot more now:)

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com