• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Apple's Phil Schiller announced the next generation Mac Pro desk top, which really redefines what Apple considers as a desk top.   Basically it's a tube design with dual GPU, dual E5 Intel CPUs, PCI Flash Memory as an OS drive and of course Thunderbolt 2.0 and  the usual USB 3.0.
I really like the design! It's black sleek and sexy even. Small footprint and hopefully very quiet.

But I won't buy it now. I have to upgrade my servers to Thunderbolt compatibility and toss out my SAS, Red Rocket, Decklink cards or buy PCI expansion box, which adds more clutter and defeats the purpose of such a small computer.

It's a gorgeous machine, but the upgrade would require a system wide upgrade including extra peripherals etc.  It is too far ahead of its time since Flash Memory isn't cheap enough yet, nor is Thunderbolt the ubiquitous connector that Intel/Apple want it to be for monitors and other peripherals.  Of course, this is my own requirements.  I'm not willing to toss out perfect working solutions because of a sleek designed desktop.  Plus it could turn out to be another Cube! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.