Photo

How experienced a diver do I need to for underwater photography?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

• The GBR (Great Barrier Reef( is nowhere near Oz, The closest it gets is near Post Douglas, even then it;s a good couple of hours steaming away by fast boat.

so from which boat ramp are you going to woody island from? 2hrs fast boat to do 15kms??? are you serious

Alexandra reef is a shore dive from Craiglie.

Edited by DamonA, 01 July 2013 - 02:36 AM.

#22 ChristianG

ChristianG

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

so from which boat ramp are you going to woody island from? 2hrs fast boat to do 15kms??? are you serious

Alexandra reef is a shore dive from Crai

Alexandria Reefs are not considered to be part of the GBR.

Beware, incidentally, of the Irukandji Box Jellyfish (amongst other little nasties) if you go swimming there (by whatever means) at the wrong time.

There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG

#23 shawngir

shawngir

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi Opie;

Welcome to the group and excellent question my fellow Canadian. ;)  As tempting it would be to go out and buy a U/W camera for your trip, my first recommendation is to take an Open Water course, and then get out diving here in Canada before your trip.  It's highly important you develop good buoyancy skills.  Not just for getting that nice sharp photo, but for the safety of the reef.  Trust me, the last thing you want to do as a diver is to destroy the environment that you enjoy seeing so much.  As an underwater photographer, it is so easy to get tunnel vision and lose all sight of what you are doing when they focusing on The Shot.  This why one member suggested being aware of the time, air consumption, and depth while you are diving.  

Feel free to message me if you need any help in finding a dive shop here in Canada. 

Cheers

Shawn