• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dylanear

dylanear

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

I read that the just about to be available E-P5 has underwater scene modes, I don't think the E-P1, E-P2 or EP-3 did. The larger, sharper VF-4 add on viewfinder apparently has a larger magnification and better eye relief than the VF-2, VF-3 or E-M5, so might work better underwater than the current PENs/OM-D viewfinders. And has the built in flash so the EVF could be used while still triggering strobes.

Might Olympus, or perhaps Nauticam make a housing for this new E-Px series camera when that range has been all but completely neglected in the past? (10 bar for the E-P3 being the only exception I know)

Any disadvantage of the E-P5 compared to the E-M5? Weather sealing being the only one I can think of.

#2 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

That is a very good question.

Perhaps the E-M5 is too close in specifications and price for the housing manufacturers to bother?  I.e. with housing costs the difference in price it too small?

Cheers

/O

#3 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

The best housing for the E-P3 was built by Athena, here is the link http://www.athena-op.../E-P3/E-P3.html  They appear to be sold out at this time. They were much more expensive than the Nauticam housing and ports for the E-M5 and hard to deal with in the US. 

I own the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing for the E-M5 and I have added the Nauticam 45 degree optical viewfinder for the EVF which works quite well with the current EVF. Somthing new is always coming and rumor has it that a new OMD camera may be announced as soon as 9/13 which will include the newer EVF used in the VF-4.

The Nauticam NA-EM5 housing retailed for 1350.00 and has now been raised to $1450.00 this is a bargain compared to most of the other mirrorless housings.

The compelling upsides of the E-P5 for me would be ISO-100 and flash sync of 1/320th, I hope to see both of these features included in the new OMD camera.

Phil Rudin 

#4 dylanear

dylanear

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

"The Nauticam NA-EM5 housing retailed for 1350.00 and has now been raised to $1450.00 this is a bargain compared to most of the other mirrorless housings."

While it may be a bargain, it's all relative. Too expensive for my budget now, especially for a camera that will be worth $500 in a matter of months. A camera I hope to replace with an E-P5 soon. And it's also expensive enough that I'd have to look long and hard at spending a bit more and getting my D800E underwater. Granted I like something more compact and something I'd be less heartbroken if I lost or flooded. The D800 is quite bulky and a major investment to take underwater.

When you can get an E-PM1/PT-EP06 combo for $500, the EM-5's PT-EP10 starts looking really expensive at close to a grand with no port. The Nauticam a bit more still and then you'll want the Zen port $1600+. 

It's all relative, and we've never had so many great options for such low prices so I shouldn't complain I suppose.  

#5 dylanear

dylanear

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'll just add I sure hope there is a E-P5 housing from Olympus and I'd be a lot more inclined to buy it if it's no more than $1000 with a flat port, maybe $750 portless. Otherwise might as well get a Nauticam if they make one, the Oly housing for the E-M5 seems overpriced compared to the Nauticam. I hope they change that equation next time around. 

#6 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

Well I hate to raid on your parade, but Olympus has not released housings for past E-P cameras and if they were going to it likely would have been announced by now as it has been for past E-PL cameras. I would also not hold my breath for a Nuaticam housing because they are doing very well with the NA-EM5 and will likely stay with OMD and EPL housings for the Oly camera line.

Regarding cost I can assure you that a metal housing for the E-P5 would run much higher than the EM5 housing because the R&D costs are spread over the number of housings built and demand for the housing is not high. Not at all like the buzz prior to the OMD release.

Not sure what ZEN port you are for $1600.00+ but I own the ZEN 170mm optical glass port for the EM5 housing and it retails for $995.00 and most will buy the Nauticam 6" port for 7-14 which is much less.

Phil Rudin

#7 dylanear

dylanear

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

Well I hate to raid on your parade, but Olympus has not released housings for past E-P cameras and if they were going to it likely would have been announced by now as it has been for past E-PL cameras. I would also not hold my breath for a Nuaticam housing because they are doing very well with the NA-EM5 and will likely stay with OMD and EPL housings for the Oly camera line.

I don't disagree strongly, sure wouldn't bet money on anyone making a housing for the E-P5, but the underwater scene modes give me a glimmer of hope that Olympus might change course on their previous E-Px housing plans. The improved AF and improved viewfinder of the E-P5 I hope would create some interest in getting this camera underwater. The next OM-D will likely get those features too and perhaps we'll just have to wait until housings for that. More being hopeful than predicting an E-P5 housing.

"Not sure what ZEN port you are for $1600.00+ but I own the ZEN 170mm optical glass port for the EM5 housing and it retails for $995.00 and most will buy the Nauticam 6" port for 7-14 which is much less."

$1600+ for housing, port, accessories (zoom gear, port adapter, etc) I believe the Zen WA100 port or Nauticam ports are about $500. $1000ish for Olympus housing, $1500 for Nauticam. So $1600 is about minimum with dome port, you might get an OM-D set up for as low as $1400 if you get the Oly housing and flat port, but that's crippling yourself to save a few hundred bucks.