• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MarkB

MarkB

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

In the past I have put UV filters on my land-use lenses for protection but not my lenses that I take underwater.

What is the current consensus? Do you put protective UV filters on the lenses you take underwater or not?

Thanks,

Mark

#2 onewolf

onewolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Diving, Fishing, Photography, Kayaking

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

I think using UV filters for lens 'protection' is just plain dumb. Above water or below water.

(Primary) Nauticam 550D, Canon T2i, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 100mm IS, Tokina 10-17FE, Zen 100mm domeport, Nauticam 180deg viewfinder, Dual S&S YS-110a, SOLA 600 focus light, Dual AOI RGBlue video lights, GoPro Hero 2

(Backup) Olympus E-PM1, PT EP-06, Olympus 14-42 II, Olympus 60mm macro

--- Visit My Website ---

#3 meltdownman

meltdownman

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:22 AM

UV Filters are not really needed to protect the sensor anymore if that is why onewolf is getting a little harsh about their use (i.e. sales gimmick).  Saltwater can destroy the coating on these just as on the camera lens.  Having said that:

I do use a protective glass on all my lenses for both above and below water.  If for some reason you have to do an emergency opening of your housing while on the boat (liveaboard or otherwise) you do not want saltwater on that lens. It will destroy the coating on the lens. (e.g. There may be some moisture picked up inside your housing that is causing fogging for instance. Being near a saltwater environment will certainly have some salt content in the moisture) Not to mention the potential for the accidental drop.  Protective glass lens covers are relatively inexpensive compared to your lens.