• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble Girl

Bubble Girl

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

Does anyone know where I can get a new circuit board for a Subal C10? I tried contacting Subal directly, but they have not replied.

Failing that, does anyone know if all 5 wires are suppose to be soldered to the circuit board, or just the middle three? The outside green and brown wires do not touch the circuit board. I think this is causing my strobe not to fire.

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

#2 gmac

gmac

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Hi
I use Subal ND2 and ND3 housings for Nikon and the circuit board appears to be very similar. I would suggest that all five wires should be connected (soldered) to the board. This should be a very simple and straightforward repair that can be carried out by anyone competent with a soldering iron. Assuming that the board has not suffered any water or physical damage then it is not worth going to the trouble and expense of replacement. The board is a fairly "low tech" bulkhead distributer with no active components so a visual inspection and possibly a clean up should reveal/fix any issues.

I notice that you are using the outer bulkhead connectors so I assume that you are firing your strobe manually (the inner connectors are for TTL). In that case only two of the connecting wires are critical, they are the trigger and common connections. In my housings they are the orange and brown wires (can't remember which is which). If the Subal colour coding for Canon/Nikon connections is the same then I think that reconnecting your brown wire should resolve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Gordon

Edited by gmac, 14 June 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#3 ianmarsh

ianmarsh

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

I had a similar event with my ND2 housing. Depending on your strobe set up, you may or may not need all connections. You only need two wires to shoot manual. Can't remember which two, but there is a thread somwhere on Wetpixel regarding the pins and wires...

It is an easy repair for someone skilled with a soldering iron. Saves a bundle of cash too!

In addition, when I fixed mine, I encased the wires and solder on both sides of the board in clear silicone caulk to provide water resistence and strain relief to the solder joint. Otherwise it is pretty exposed.

ian