• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sluggo

sluggo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

I am planning on shooting in some merky fresh water.  Probably be 10-20' deep, with 8-10' viz at best.  It is a clean up of a lake, so I know there wont be any award winning photos, but maybe a few to memorialize the event.  Anyway I have a nikon d300 in an ikelite housing with twin ikelite 160 strobes.  Any suggestions on camera settings?  to use the strobes or not? anything else I may need to know?   thanks in advance!

#2 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Should be a fun challenge :mocking:

What lens do you plan to use? Very close focus would be the go with something like the Tokina 10-17. I'd probably try ambient light close

to the surface. Do you have a large dome? Maybe some under/overs to set the scene if you do have one.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#3 pdemaagt

pdemaagt

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:48 AM

this sound to me as reasonable viz :-))) I would definitely bring the strobes. The key to getting good shots in merky water is to get as close as possible and make sure that you strobes do not light up the particles in between. Maybe point them outwards a little and pull them back behind the camera a bit.

I don't know how much light you have over there, but I would start with a shutter speed of 1/60th.