6 replies to this topic

#1 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

One dive on my last trip got a bit more exciting than intended. 24 minutes into the dive at 18m depth my first stage blew off its end cap and whatever is supposed to be behind it. The result, a pandemonium of noise and air bubbles. My buddy had already been alerted by the noise and we weren't too far apart. I gave the out-of-air sign, although it must have been pretty obvious, and her octopus got its first life action. After I closed my main valve to get rid off the noise and conserve the remaining air in the tank, we ascended to 5m and buddy-breathed the 15 minute swim back to the exit point.

This is something you always hear about and it was part of the solo diver training I took last year. But in the end you never know how you respond when it really happens. In this case all other conditions were favorable. Good visibility, no current, familiar dive site, 40 dives in the preceding days, and an experienced buddy within short distance. But it is a good reminder to be trained, prepared, and equipped to deal with whatever situation a dive throws at you.

Here is a picture of the regulator and its intact sibling. It was serviced just before the trip but I'm now looking for a new reg and a new dive shop to take care of it. The escaping high-pressure also broke the octopus but I hope that can be fixed.

Bart

regulators.JPG

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#2 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Staying Alive....

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

This is why the only person who services my regulator is me :) Over the last 15 years of working full-time in resorts, 95% of the time someone has a problem with their equipment is just after they've had it serviced. There are undoubtedly good technicians out there, but there are too many to whom it is just another job, fixing some bit of equipment and not checking thoroughly...they forget that this equipment saves our lives every time we take a breath!

Glad you survived with a good bar story :)

Edited by liquidguru, 14 June 2013 - 08:37 PM.

Sony XR500 - LMI Stingray+ G2 - 2x LMI Sola 4000 LEDs
Liquidguru's Website
My weekly Blog from Ambon, Indonesia

DIA_sig_new.png

#3 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

I just had a similar experience, although just before a dive, where my newly serviced Atomic safe second just ruptured and air just gushed through it.  Luckily I am mr redundant and had a manual inflator assembly with me so dive saved.  it was just serviced, tested in my garage the week before the dive, all worked.  On the boat, kaboom.  Took it back to the dive shop and they were so nonchalant about it, "yea, that happens sometimes, an oring occasionally slips out on these after servicing causing the air to gush out....we'll fix it for you".  No shit.  And bullshit.  I call incompetence and ripped them a new one. 

What brand of regulator exploded on you, Bart?

Joe

Edited by Kelpfish, 15 June 2013 - 03:01 AM.

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#4 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

My regulator was an Oceanic gamma 2 paired with a CDX first stage, bought in 2001 or 2002. Doing some internet searching turned up a safety recall for this particular type fo first stage issued in Fall of 2002, with the option for a free fix. I was never informed about this (the reason for the recall was vibrations and noise, not a failure) but when I brought in the reg to the shop that serviced it they told me the safety fix would have been applied the first time the reg was serviced after the recall was issued. I left the reg with them to check out what went wrong. I had one other first stage failure with this reg or its twin but that was less dramatic and happened after surfacing from a dive. I will wait to find out the cause of the failure but am reluctant to put this regulator back into service.

Bart

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#5 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

Never buy anything with plastic junk on the 1st stage. It's amazing you kept it to fail twice....I sure as hell would of binned it the first time.

The scuba pro mk25 is the best first stage there is in my opinion, get one here cheap-  http://www.ebay.com....=item43bbcd4143

Talking about regs generally- My favs are

Scuba pro

Apex

Zeagle

Edited by DamonA, 17 June 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#6 ChristianG

ChristianG

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Providing "favourite" regs as a recommendation is fraught with difficulty, My own "preferred" regs are Oceanic Omega IIs because as a photographer I often find myself "upside down" where these are entirely unaffected whereas down draught regs might be. As well, being side draught, they tend to expel their bubbles to the side of my mask which I find useful. There are other, more minor, advantages (and disadvantages) that I won't go into here. Of course Oceanic, silly them, neither make nor support them any more and, sooner rather than later, I'm going to run out of servicing spares. What I buy then is still in the lap of the gods I don't believe in but I consider the Poseidon variety way too big, heavy and clunky. To my knowledge Poseidon are the only other people making side draught regs ATM?

I believe that Hollis, Oceanic's "technical division" may be coming out with a new version of the Omega. Anyone with more news of that?

Which is not to say that I recommend that regulator - horses for courses say I. Besides, it's not even available yet, if it ever gets to be available at all.

There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG

#7 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Never buy anything with plastic junk on the 1st stage. It's amazing you kept it to fail twice....I sure as hell would of binned it the first time.

The scuba pro mk25 is the best first stage there is in my opinion, get one here cheap-  http://www.ebay.com....=item43bbcd4143

Talking about regs generally- My favs are

Scuba pro

Apex

Zeagle

I have seen at first hand a Scubapro Mk25 first stage explode with a large chunk of metal coming off. Lucky the diver was on the surface waiting for the guide. 

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/