• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bobu

Bobu

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

I've ordered a Seacam housing for my D800 which will arrive in a few days.

Since I would like to do a lot of half-half shots I decided to get the Superdome together with the housing.

I'm affraid that for snorkeling trips where I don't have the chance for great half-half shots the SD is just a bit too cumbersome.

Therefore I plan to get a second smaller domeport especially for snorkeling trips. I would use this domeport mainly with my Sigma 15mm Fisheye lens and quite often without any flash.

With Seacam I have the following options:

1. Wideport WP

2. Fisheyeport FP

3. Fisheye Makro Port

Which port would you recommend and why?

I would like to have sharp corners (at least stopped down at f/11) and be able to shoot close up portraits of small fish.

Boris

#2 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

I've ordered a Seacam housing for my D800 which will arrive in a few days.

Since I would like to do a lot of half-half shots I decided to get the Superdome together with the housing.

I'm affraid that for snorkeling trips where I don't have the chance for great half-half shots the SD is just a bit too cumbersome.

Therefore I plan to get a second smaller domeport especially for snorkeling trips. I would use this domeport mainly with my Sigma 15mm Fisheye lens and quite often without any flash.

With Seacam I have the following options:

1. Wideport WP

2. Fisheyeport FP

3. Fisheye Makro Port

Which port would you recommend and why?

I would like to have sharp corners (at least stopped down at f/11) and be able to shoot close up portraits of small fish.

Boris

The fisheye port does very well with full frame cameras and fisheye lenses.  It also offers the very nice advantage of being able to use the 60mm micro-Nikkor (new style) behind the dome port without any port extensions.  The fisheye macro port I believe has issues with the big sunshades on the Sigma 15mm and therefore problematic.  I use one with my Canon 15mm and 8-15, but have been told the Sigma 15mm wouldn't work without shaving the shades.  The wide port is less money, but your corners will be likely better with the fisheye port.  Fisheye port would be my choice for the criteria you describe.

Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#3 Bobu

Bobu

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Stephen!

I would be willing to shave the shade of the Sigma lens, if necessary.

How would the Fisheyeport and the Fisheye Makro Port compare, especially regarding corner sharpness?

Boris

#4 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

Thanks Stephen!

I would be willing to shave the shade of the Sigma lens, if necessary.

How would the Fisheyeport and the Fisheye Makro Port compare, especially regarding corner sharpness?

Boris

All I can compare is the fisheye macro port, in my experience, with Canon. It is quite nice at f8 and smaller with both 15 mm and 8-15. I have no reason to believe your Sigma w
ould not be a good performer in this port. The Nikkor 16 m does not focus near enough, but Sigma is fine. Aside from shades on the lens, a good solution, and far different ergonomics for free diving than superdome or fisheye port. Easier to light close focus WA subjects too.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#5 Bobu

Bobu

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

Thanks Stephen!

The Fisheye Makro Port sounds like an interesting solution and a good complement to my Superdome for snorkeling and free diving trips.

I've also contacted Harald Hordosch and will see what he will recommend.

Boris

#6 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

HI Boris,

I have used the 10/17FE Tokina with the widedome port & had some very good results.

I am upgrading to a D800 now so I will be trying to see how it is with the same domeport.

I also have the super dome port as well, but the wide port is a lot smaller & easier to get in 

tighter places.

Regards,

Andy.

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#7 Bobu

Bobu

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thanks Andy!

At the moment I tend to get the Fisheye Makro Port, but it will be interesting to read your experiences with the wide port.

Boris

#8 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Hi Boris,

Paul Kay the Seacam distributor in the UK has a Demo Fisheye macro Port for sale i think he had them on Wetpixel in the classified section,

if it helps.

reagards,

Andy.

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#9 Bobu

Bobu

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thanks Andy, I will have a look at the classified section.

Boris

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Seacam, D800, Sigma 15mm, Port, Fisheye Port