3 replies to this topic

#1 aorr

aorr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Diving, Underwater photography, Geology, GIS

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hello, I'll be diving off some boats this summer in North Carolina and from what I hear it's a bit of a wild ride on the surface! We're doing deco dives so we'll have extra bottles on. Handling a camera while getting in/out of the boat is going to be a major challenge. I was curious if anyone has any ideas for making a done cover that will protect the nauticam dome from scratches and from anything coming in contact with it. Ultimately, I would like something I can dive the rest if the dive with. Maybe a low/profile plastic guard that I can tuck into my harness during the dive. Anyone have any ideas? -Andy

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

aorr,

do a search and you will find some treads with pix regarding this from last year.

Most use some kind of hat made of a right sized tupperware or bowls with 2 bungie cords to hold it in place.

Using a heat gun to soften the plastic will give you the possibility to form it to fit the dome.
After i am in the water i just clip it on my bcd till i surface again

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

Why not try a soft sided cooler bag.  It will protect your rig in the boat, can be filled with fresh water as a soak tank and can be lowered on a line to you in the water.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#4 bfdc

bfdc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

Hello, I'll be diving off some boats this summer in North Carolina and from what I hear it's a bit of a wild ride on the surface! We're doing deco dives so we'll have extra bottles on. Handling a camera while getting in/out of the boat is going to be a major challenge. I was curious if anyone has any ideas for making a done cover that will protect the nauticam dome from scratches and from anything coming in contact with it. Ultimately, I would like something I can dive the rest if the dive with. Maybe a low/profile plastic guard that I can tuck into my harness during the dive. Anyone have any ideas? -Andy

Welcome to our neck of the woods...I dive with a S&S setup and keep the neoprene cover on the dome except when on the bottom. don't know if a neoprene cover is an option for nauticam. Take it off on the bottom and put it back on when going up. Will leave it on except for those days when the swell and current allow or if something impossible to pass up comes along. After 30 yrs, it has been very successful in preventing dings and I haven't found the need for a "hard" cap. Most professional NC charter captains and mates are pretty sensitive to handling photo gear - talk to them before hand and it shouldn't be a problem. Don't expect live aboard style rinse tanks and accommodations though. I bring my own box to keep it in - tuck in a corner and don't worry about rinse until I get back to the dock -- actually hotel room. Hope you have a good time and weather gods are kind.

Edited by bfdc, 17 June 2013 - 05:47 PM.