2 replies to this topic

#1 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

As I'm going through my latest batch of Red Sea images there are going to be a number of questions. Here is the first one.

Always found in small groups, swimming in open water near walls or in spaces between pillar coral. About 15-20 m deep. Taken on the house reef of Marsa El Naga (just on the Northern edge of Safaga) I think they were in at least three different spots. Hard to focus on these small, about 3 cm, fish because the OM-D wants to focus on the background. Luckily this one worked.

My best guess is Taylor's dwarfgoby (Trimma taylori) but it is not included in the fish ID books for the Red Sea. On fishbase T. taylori is listed as mainly Indo-pacific in distribution but with records from the Red Sea. Has anyone seen T. taylori to confirm the ID or perhaps it is something completely different.

dwarfgoby1TrimmaTaylori.JPG

Bart

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#2 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

Hi Bart
Sounds like you had a productive trip. Never seen one of these but would go along with your suggestion. Their behaviour you describe seems to be spot-on.I think Fishbase should be more definite and say its distribution extends to the Red Sea (instead of "also records from" which to me implies they are not entirely convinced) After all, one of their pictures was taken in the Red Sea off Jeddah. There is a photo on Goby Frontiers which you may have seen which shows a redder fish but in particular shows the yellowish flecks on the fins. See below - http://gobyfrontiers.org/gf/jg-131.htm

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#3 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the link Jim. The ones I found where always translucent, but too small to see details of color or specks. That's the great thing about photography, it is your underwater microscope.

After posting I found a good shot of T. taylori in Reef Fish identification Trop. Pacific (p331) which is very similar to the ones in your link but it shows an elongate first dorsal, unlike the ones in the link. Perhaps sexual dimorphism but, although my memory may mislead me, my impression was that they always had a long first dorsal fin and with the entire fin elongated, not just the first spine. Finally, the T. taylori images have a distinct banding in the eye which mine lack. Maybe it is another example of a Red Sea endemic with T. taylori as its Pacific sister species.

Bart

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE