• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

I was looking at the sigma 15mm. How has that one worked for you? Also, is your 105mm macro IS? The Canon non-is is half the price and from reviews it appears the image quality is the same but I feel that underwater, IS may be extremely handy especially for macro. Thanks again for all of the advice, it has certainly helped a lot. I am in the process of putting together an aquatica kit for my camera.

Jim

#22 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

IS is of little value underwater. The water itself acts as a stabilizing element. Save your money and buy the non-IS version.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#23 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

IS is of little value underwater. The water itself acts as a stabilizing element. Save your money and buy the non-IS version.

Really? Wow, thanks big time. Saved me several hundred dollars. I guess it makes sense since I will be using strobes and high shutter speeds. Thanks again. 

#24 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

One more thing to think about:  It is possible your lens may have some sort of problem and is not focusing correctly.  I had this problem with my Canon 16-35; often my underwater shots just weren't as clear and sharp as they should have been.  (I didn't notice this problem topside.)  I finally sent it in to Canon to have it checked out and they fixed it.

-Gina

#25 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

One more thing to think about:  It is possible your lens may have some sort of problem and is not focusing correctly.  I had this problem with my Canon 16-35; often my underwater shots just weren't as clear and sharp as they should have been.  (I didn't notice this problem topside.)  I finally sent it in to Canon to have it checked out and they fixed it.

-Gina

Thanks gina, I will look into that as well

#26 pdemaagt

pdemaagt

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

Here is an image where I was only a foot or two away from the subject and it is still not sharp. This (and all of the others) were shot at f8 (aperture priority) and the shutter speed on this one was 1/80. I should have mentioned... I currently have the 5d housing not 5d ii so I have been using aperture priority because it is hard to change settings without access to all of the controls. I am saving up for a new housing (probably aquatica) so if this is an issue of the port it will hopefully be fixed when I upgrade. Thanks again for all of the help it is very much appreciated. 

Jim

Ae you using strobes? If yes, i have the feeling that you are not getting the light on the subject... . Maybe you should try to get even closer.