9 replies to this topic

#1 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

Hi every one !

Going for 13 dive days in Fiji in September for the first time.

I"m an experienced diving instructor and photographer.

What is "a must" and how to plan it without rushing from one place to another and to stay on a reasonable budget ?

Looked at the liveaboards and they seem very expensive.

Thank you !!!

#2 Luko

Luko

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

The dive places you can choose from :

- don't miss Bligh Waters, north of Viti Levu easy to get from Nadi airport, probably the best of Fiji has to offer in terms of color and fishlife. Volivoli should be on a budget. This is the place you NEED to go diving for 4-5 days. 

- Taveuni island, needs a plane to go, nice corals, mantas, the most expensive of the Fiji resorts.

- Eastern Viti Levu, off Suva, Naigani island is supposed to be one of the best kept secrets for diving Fiji, not been though. Will certainly be my next Fiji destination.

- Kadavu for authentic Fiji, needs a plane too or a ferry ride from Suva. Dive the Great Astrolabe reef, lush corals, though I didn't find that much fishlife, fantastic people and rural life. Quite cheap for lodging, if you want to experience life like a fijian, this is the place, their kava is a kneebreaker. :)

Some people also say Beqa lagoon, (not been impressed with the corals or anything) or South Viti Levu for tiger/bull sharks feeding dives.    

Edited by Luko, 21 June 2013 - 09:51 AM.

Pls have a look at my Flickr photo gallery and leave a comment.
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.
Vanuatu incl.SS Pres.Coolidge wreck.

#3 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thank you, Luko, for your important experience and tips.

So, you think I can choose to go only to Vity levu north and south and get the best of Fiji in 13 days ?

Any specific recommendations of resorts, dive operators or liveaboard ?

#4 Luko

Luko

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

A few years ago I stayed at Wananavu resort, north of Viti Levu, which is the best around in terms of quality but not in the budget range, however Volivoli has much more affordable accoms and you can dive with Ra divers that will bring you to Vatu-I-Ra passage or further away to Bligh Waters (it's in the middle of the channel between Viti and Vanua Levu).

It takes a 4h drive to get from Nadi to Volivoli north of Viti Levu, hence it's done on the day of your arrival. 

Than you can have a drive to Suva but I since I suspect to you need to go back to  through Nadi (I'm not sure whether the northeast rd is either open or good enough for making it a  shorter drive. Anyways you could also stop one or two days south of Viti Levu to do the Shark feed dive with B.A.D or any other operation or tuck in a Beqa lagoon dive.

There have been some mixed report about Naigani operation but I take from some divers in Fiji it's a very good basis to dive Lomaiviti group and get dives to Wakaya (hammerheads) or Ovalau, which are supposed to be some of the wildest and finest in Fiji. Once again never been at the resort, only read reports from reliable fellow divers. the thing is that you first need to ask for the dive centre to operate. They have a sales rep registered on Scubaboard.com, I guess he's easy to contact and post a message there.

13 days might be short, so you need to select between Naigani and Taveuni. You can't miss Vatu-I-Ra and Bligh Waters, really you don't want to. Taveuni might be a little similar although with more visibility, more current and sometimes mantas. Naigani might be different with wilder dives, I don't know...

Pls have a look at my Flickr photo gallery and leave a comment.
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.
Vanuatu incl.SS Pres.Coolidge wreck.

#5 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Nai'a live a board. Awesome.........If it's too expensive sell a kidney.......

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#6 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

:notworthy:

Thank's. guys for the tips.

I drink too much Kava - bad kidneys....

Will appreciate any other tips !!!

#7 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

13 days is not a long time for exploreing the differnt areas of Fiji, especially if you are bringing your gear.  I also vote for Nai'a, great boat and crew but pricey.  I did a 3 week visit and divided it into 3 segments.  1st was aboard Nai'a which puts you in prime dive locations.  2nd, I went down to Pacific Harbor and spent a week shark diving with Aqua Trek staying at Uprising.  Getting up close and personal with tigers, bulls is addicting so plan on doing several days of diving at the Bistro.  3rd week I went out into the Yasawa group using the amazingly well organised ferry system.  Did dive out there but nothing compared to pervious weeks.  If you like to party the Yasawa's are the spot.  My second visit last year was for a shorter period, a bit longer than yours and I went to Matava on Kandavu.  Plane trip with weight rectrictions.  I think there is a ferry from Suva once a week that is cheap.  Matava is an eco lodge, very organic, great food and atmoshere.  A great place to go native.  Diving has some good spots, especially in the chanels during slack tide,  Manta's are a regular treat.  Returned to Pac Harbor and did more shark diving with Aqua Trek while staying at Uprising once again.

It is possible to move around Vita Levu cheaply as the bus sytem is extensive and with many options.  If you are into backpack lifestyle there are lots of reasonable options however if travling with a bunch of expensive camera and dive gear that might not be doable.

I am ready to return and try another Island when Air Pacific man's up and stops carrying shark fins as cargo to Hong Kong!

You will enjoy Fiji and especially Fijians.   And, don't forget to stock up on your favorite libations at duty free when you arrive!  Now there is some sound advise ... :martini:

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Eyematey, 22 June 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#8 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thank you, again, guys !

Following your words, I've decided to stay for 16 diving days in the big island and divide it between the north - Bligh waters, the east - Naigani and south - going out from Pacific harbor.

Sent e-mails to Nai'a  they didn't even bother to reply and to Volivoli beach resort - still waiting for a reply.

So, a good budget way will be getting to a town, find a reasonable room and find a local operator for few days. I got some names from you. Will love some more personal tips !!!

#9 Gary.Makai

Gary.Makai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

As long as you are there, why not got to Tonga and swim with the humpbacks?

#10 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:00 AM

Thank you. It's exactly

my plan and why I have only few days in Fiji.