#41 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

Kkfok, good job with the image.
Were you guys able to use the Blackmagic dng files or are you using the converted ones by Adobe?
I will uploading some more raw images if you like.
Best Regards,
Thani

#42 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

The Nauticam Blackmagic 4K housing has just been posted to the NauticamUAS.com web site for those interested.

#43 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Phil! Been looking for this.

I see from NauticamUSA that there is only partial support for the M43 version of the camera. Thats really too bad as this version has the best wide options with the new metabones converters (announced today) rendering many of the Dx lenses super fast and with the same angle as a Dx lens. Would be nice indeed! I guess I could live without the zoom on the lens and use the wheel to control the manual aperture ring on the metabones instead. I would love to see more images of the housing insides as well as a price quote for the housing and accessories. 

E.

Nikon D4, D3s, D2x, etc etc.. Nauticam housing, Inon z240s, Subtronic Mega Cs and housed Nikon Sb900s...

#44 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

Thanks Phil! Been looking for this.

I see from NauticamUSA that there is only partial support for the M43 version of the camera. Thats really too bad as this version has the best wide options with the new metabones converters (announced today) rendering many of the Dx lenses super fast and with the same angle as a Dx lens. Would be nice indeed! I guess I could live without the zoom on the lens and use the wheel to control the manual aperture ring on the metabones instead. I would love to see more images of the housing insides as well as a price quote for the housing and accessories. 

E.

Hi Espen,

The Nauticam housing looks great. Remember that this housing is meant for the 4k cam as well which is an EF mount. BTW, Reef photo sent me a quote upon my request according to the lens specifications I provided.

I have tried the custom housing with the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 which is quite a fast lens and has great low light performance :) the sea state was not good but I will try to post some shots anyways.

Pokeh:
Fast lenses such as the above lens can produce pokeh easily even on the small 2.5k. I am certain on the 4k pokeh will be exaggerated due to the super 35m sensor.
IMHO, I have few rthoughts about pokeh and whether it will be desired or not for underwater video. This needs an article by itself. In summary, for close ups it "might" have a nice effect by having the background out of focus/pokeh so your viewers can concentrate on the foreground only on the other hand if you want your whole frame to be in focus like if you are shooting a reef scene or big pelagic creature such as a whale pokeh can be a spoiler. Some of the pros here on wetpixel can help start a fresh topic on this kindly :)

Here are some inside pics of the Nauticam housing:
https://www.facebook...82832711&type=3

Edited by thani, 03 December 2013 - 09:49 PM.

Best Regards,
Thani

#45 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hi Espen,

The Nauticam housing looks great. Remember that this housing is meant for the 4k cam as well which is an EF mount. BTW, Reef photo sent me a quote upon my request according to the lens specifications I provided.

I have tried the custom housing with the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 which is quite a fast lens and has great low light performance :) the sea state was not good but I will try to post some shots anyways.

Pokeh:
Fast lenses such as the above lens can produce pokeh easily even on the small 2.5k. I am certain on the 4k pokeh will be exaggerated due to the super 35m sensor.
IMHO, I have few rthoughts about pokeh and whether it will be desired or not for underwater video. This needs an article by itself. In summary, for close ups it "might" have a nice effect by having the background out of focus/pokeh so your viewers can concentrate on the foreground only on the other hand if you want your whole frame to be in focus like if you are shooting a reef scene or big pelagic creature such as a whale pokeh can be a spoiler. Some of the pros here on wetpixel can help start a fresh topic on this kindly
:)

Hello Thani  :)

I'm not too concerned about bokeh underwater. If I was doing a artsy topside film I probably would. Underwater and with macro especially, I find shallow depth of field to be a nuisance. There are however other IMHO far greater (real benefits for underwater shooting) with these converters. They basically give you the opposite effect of a typical teleconverter. A sharper image and more light are the real benefits from using the new metabones BMCC converter.

I live and dive in Norway. Its dark half of the year, the time with the best visibility,  so light is a very big deal to me. If Nauticam would make a gear so that it would be possible to turn the aperture ring on the metabones converter and retain focus with the other gear it would be an amazing setup for WA here up north. I have a different solution with a different camera for macro.

Besides, most of my glass is Nikon so the Metabones BMCC Nikon to M43 converter makes more sense than a BMCC EF version with less light sensitivity, less field of view and a different lens mount.

The 4K version is still just on paper, but the specs are less desireable in terms of low light. I don't expect it to surface before next summer, so I will not really think to hard about it until it appears and the first reviews are in. S35 sensor size and global shutter is a good thing though.

Anyone know if the Nauticam housings are actually shipping, and what the battery and converter solution is going to cost. Also very curious to hear what Simon Spear has to say about the combo.

E. 

Nikon D4, D3s, D2x, etc etc.. Nauticam housing, Inon z240s, Subtronic Mega Cs and housed Nikon Sb900s...

#46 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:31 AM

Hello Thani  :)
Besides, most of my glass is Nikon so the Metabones BMCC Nikon to M43 converter makes more sense than a BMCC EF version with less light sensitivity, less field of view and a different lens mount.

Anyone know if the Nauticam housings are actually shipping, and what the battery and converter solution is going to cost. Also very curious to hear what Simon Spear has to say about the combo.

Hi Espen,
If already have good stock of Nikon lenses the MTF option makes good sense. Nauticam says on their website that they have "limited support for MTF". It would be good to know what are the limits or if they can customize an aperture ring for it. Technically it is easy for them. Does it make a commercial sense?

On the shipping of Nauticam housing, reef photo made it sound like it is shipping :)

Edited by thani, 06 December 2013 - 03:33 AM.

Best Regards,
Thani

#47 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:32 AM

Sorry for the delay in my write up on the housing.  I've an awful lot going on right now and I've got so many deadlines that I am about to miss that it would drive a lesser man insane!!  :D  I'll definitely try to get it all down by Christmas/just after.   In summary though I thought it was great if you can always shoot in RAW and have the ability to handle, store and process RAW in post.  I will try to get something down as soon as I can.  Promise!

Cheers, Simon

#48 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

No worries Simon!

I hope you make it all. And thanks for taking the time!

E.

#49 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:17 AM

Hi,
Here is a test clip taking in Sultan's custom housing for the sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 behind a flat port with the BMCC:

Best Regards,
Thani

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BMCC, undrwater housing