1 reply to this topic

#1 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

I am interested in any opinions on the QUALITY of diving at Raja4divers as compared to Misool or Sorrido Bay resort in Raja.  Basically there is rigid scheduling requirements at Misool & Sorrido but much more flexible schedules at R4D.  However, R4D is not air conditioned and that could be a main reason they are a little cheaper.  Aside from the comforts of air, the more important question is around the quality of their house reef and the surrounding dive sites accessed by boats.

Interested if anyone has any experience/recommendations.  Our travel would be over December/Jan time frame.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

Never been to the resort but know the area quite well.  From where R4D is , the area is good for macro and some wide angle, especially with hard coral. However the big schools of fish are south.  I personally prefer  Misool, because you have thick life of big and small schooling fish. Then of course, there's the sardines.   Macro is not as prolific as up north.   I remember West Waigeo and Gam to have fun dives and the islands awesome for exploration on land.  My faves up north are in Aljui Bay and further north in Kawe/Wayag, which they can technically reach with a good speed boat and 2 hrs ride.
Sorido has the no diving on Sat thing.  MER is the furthest from Sorong, hence the strict schedule.  Subject interests are subjective so I suggest you buy this book to see what is around the area.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.