10 replies to this topic

#1 vigfus

vigfus

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

I've been doing UW photo for a couple of years and used my last camera, Canon G11, since 2009 and added external equipment over time (2 Inon UCL-165 M67 macro lenses and Inon S-2000 in 2010 and Sea & sea YS-D1 in 2012). Now I won a Canon EOS 650D in a photo contest and was thinking it might be time to move to a dSLR and I'm looking for some input.

I've talked macro lenses with my friends who own D800s and they recommended Nikon AF-S VR 105/2,8G IF-ED Micro-Nikkor or Canon MPE65/2,8 1-5x. Both of them are however non-diving friends so I'm not sure how well the lenses fare under water. I have no preference when it comes to brand. I can always sell the housing I won and buy another. With the UW housing itself being quite expensive I'm thinking it might be better to go for a better housing from the start if I'm going to a dSLR.

Since I only do macro photography I'm only looking for a housing, 1 macro lens, UW housing and a port for the lens. My budget is roughly USD5000 / EUR4000. How would you make a setup with that kind of budget, the fact that I only take still shots, and what pros and cons would you say the setup will give me?

Best Regards,
Vigfus

Canon G11, OEM housing, Macro lenses: 2 Inon UCL-165 M67, Strobes: Inon S-2000 and Sea & sea YS-D1, Focus light: Light & Motion Sola 800P
http://www.flickr.com/photos/svpv9704/

#2 pooley

pooley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:04 AM

Hi Vifgus,

The 650D can be housed but is not a popular underwater model, so at the moment your choices of manufacturers will be limited. A quick search shows Ikelite, Nauticam and Sea and Sea provide housings.

With you having a fibre optic controlled strobe in the s2000 I would probably not consider the Ikelite as you will need to use hard wired strobes.

That will leave either the Nauticam or Sea and Sea models to choose from, and while each will have their supporters, I would be tempted to go the Nauticam route.

Which ever route you go down, I would definitely recommend getting an external viewfinder, the difference one of these makes is well worth the extra cost. You have the choice of straight or 45 degree viewfinders, its personal choice which you like using best.

Lens wise, forget the mp-e 65mm, it is not a particularly workable lens underwater. Far better would be to go with either a 60mm or a 100/105mm macro. Have a search in this forum for the pros and cons of each, your choice will be heavily influenced by the clarity of the water you'll be shooting in, your intended subjects, and if you intend going 'super-macro' at some point.

I would also consider trading in one of your strobes and replacing it with a model that matches the strobe you keep.

I had a look at prices, and for buying everything new, a Nauticam housing, viewfinder, port, new strobe and 100mm canon macro lens will come in at around £3600 GBP. That should pretty much meet your budget, especially considering you could sell one of your current strobes.

Mike

#3 onewolf

onewolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Diving, Fishing, Photography, Kayaking

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

As Mike already pointed out the Canon mpe-65 is extremely rare to be used underwater.  I have the Canon EF-S 60mm macro and the Canon EF-100 f2.8 IS macro lenses.  The 60mm is somewhat more flexible and can often be used as a general purpose small fish portrait lens whereas the 100mm is strictly for macro shooting.  Both lenses support 1:1 images.

(Primary) Nauticam 550D, Canon T2i, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 100mm IS, Tokina 10-17FE, Zen 100mm domeport, Nauticam 180deg viewfinder, Dual S&S YS-110a, SOLA 600 focus light, Dual AOI RGBlue video lights, GoPro Hero 2

(Backup) Olympus E-PM1, PT EP-06, Olympus 14-42 II, Olympus 60mm macro

--- Visit My Website ---

#4 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

When those with experience say your camera will be RARE for u/w use, that also means housing resale will likely be more difficult and bring a lower return than a more popular u/w housing. 

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#5 vigfus

vigfus

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:35 AM

Thank you very much for the input guys - much appreciated!

Edit: I forgot to mention I already have the Sola 800P focus light. I've been heading to Asia for macro in November over the last couple of years and it has usually been enough particals in the water to affect the photo (or be an incentive to learn Photoshop). Most seem to suggested a 60mm macro lens for those kind of conditions to avoid to much water between the lens and the subject. I'm thinking I could go with a teleconverter + a 60mm lens. I assume I would need to get a longer port for a setup with a teleconverter. Would it be possible to go with a 100/105mm port in case the next purchase is a 100/105mm lens? I'm thinking that in that case I could just buy a seperate port for the teleconverter at that time and skip the 60mm port since I tend to almost only do close up shots (My type of shots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/svpv9704/) or is that not a good option?

Can I keep my 60mm lense if I upgrade my camera house to a fullframe in the future?

Are there any differences to teleconverters due to brand if the specs say they do 1.4x? Do you pay for a brand or for performance?

Best Regards,
Vigfus

Edited by vigfus, 29 June 2013 - 06:27 AM.

Canon G11, OEM housing, Macro lenses: 2 Inon UCL-165 M67, Strobes: Inon S-2000 and Sea & sea YS-D1, Focus light: Light & Motion Sola 800P

#6 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

You can get a port for the 60mm and when you buy a 100mm add an extension with the same port. Canon TCs are going to be the best choice if they will work with your lens. In my case, I'm a Nikon shooter, Nikon TCs will not work with their 60mm so I have to use the Kenko pro 300, not the sharpest. I gave up on it the first time I tried it and went with the 105mm lens. I don't know about Canon.

I think with Nauticam you will be able to use your Inon close up lens, I think they will screw right into the port if you buy the right port.

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#7 vigfus

vigfus

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the added input Paul!

After discussing with more diving friends and looking even more at flickr and flickriver I'm leaning towards a 105mm lens and most likely a d7000 or d7100 and sell the 650D.

Best Regards,

Vigfus

#8 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

Yes Vigfus come to the Dark :evilgrin2:  side! You will have power beyond your wildest dreams! Canon users will tremble at your name!  :lol2: 

Seriously however do you dive in Swedish waters? If so the 60mm is a great option. If you are looking further ahead to a full frame upgrade

then the 105mm is a wise choice. In time though you'll probably end up with both as they each have their own strengths and applications.

I am a Nikon DX user and started with the 60mm in '09 and only recently added the 105mm. the 105mm is more specific and harder to use

lens for UW. The 60mm has strong advantages for me in temperate/murky waters. Looking at your photostream I think the 60mm will have

you achieving most of the type of shots you are after. Some of my 60mm shots.

Regarding a 1.4 TC with the 60mm. The Kenko is used by many and will also couple well with the Tokina 10-17mm. On the 60mm it works

way better on the older version of the lens. Like Aquapaul I gave up on using it after a couple of dives with it. Makes more sense to me to

get the newer AF-S 60mm and have the 105mm plus wet diopters to get greater than 1:1 ratio macro shots. My testing of the 60mm + 1.4TC

combo was on an older D90 body and it may work a great deal better on the D7100 which has much much better AF capabilities.

With housing the 60mm, 60mm +1.4TC and 105mm options you be able to do all three with a macro port for 60mm and a 20mm extension ring

to add for the second two options. Confirm with your distributor for the housing brand that you choose.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#9 vigfus

vigfus

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for the added input Jim!

To be honest I haven't dived in my swedish waters for many years now. Since 2008 we do a three week muck diving vacation in the south east Pacific region in November (when the weather in Sweden is horrible) each year. This year's trip is set for Alor, Maumere and Bali and since Bali was were we started with UW photography I'm really looking forward to this trip.

You hade some really nice shots in both the 60mm and 105mm set Jim. I might get hold of a used Sea & Sea housing for the d7000 so at the moment that's the base setup I'm looking at. When looking for ports I used this Sea & Sea pdf chart and looked at the 105mm lens. I couldn't find any extension rings on their system chart for Nikon. I don't know if it's not available with their system, but if it is available maybe a 60mm + teleconverter is a better starting point?

Best Regards,

Vigfus

#10 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

You might want to also take a good look at mirrorless systems, particularly the NEX and Olympus systems.    They now have very high quality sensors, good autofocus for single shot subjects, and a lot cheaper, and lighter.   Being able to avoid the viewfinder issues with DSLR's really has its advantages as well.

Another alternative might the newly announced Canon 70D if you can wait - it has a new autofocus system that may also make liveview focusing far better than previous DSLR efforts.

But just from a pure image quality perspective, you certainly cant go wrong with a secondhand D7000 setup.  

#11 vigfus

vigfus

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the added input Otara!

Weight might be a bit of an issue since I'm used to bring my own dive gear as well and still manage 23kg with a few grams to spare, but with all the feedback from other UW photographers and forums like this one I think I'm probably, maybe, might go for a D7000 and 60mm lens - at least until tomorrow ;)

Best Regards,

Vigfus