Photo
- - - - -

Ikelite Lithium Ion batteries and air travel.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2337 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

It anyone aware of any problems flying with Ikelite's DS161 lithium ion strobe batteries?

In particular can you put them in checked baggage, considering that they are lithium ion batteries?

If any problems flying in or out of Mexico from the US I would like to know.

Thank you

Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#2 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

I believe you have to take them in carry-on?

http://www.divephoto...hium_batteries/

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing

Nikon D500 with Aquatica Housing
Nikon 10.5mm FE, Tokina 10-17mm, Tokina 11-16mm, Nikkor 60, Nikkor 80-400mm

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2337 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Yes, thanks

That is what Ikelite recommended.

Has anyone tried to bring three strobe batteries in their carryon?

Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#4 bertschb

bertschb

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

I realize this is an old thread but are there any updated regulations that would impact traveling with the DS-161 Lithium strobe? I'm ready to buy two of them and don't want any surprises. I've checked the TSA web site. Just curious what real world experiences have been at airports.

#5 BigJeff

BigJeff

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:56 AM

A week ago I flew from Phuket - Doha - London Heathrow with Qatar Airways, 3 DS-161 strobes in my checked bags 2 of which had Lithium batteries.

No problems or questions.

Security did check the power bank in my hand baggage.

Jeff (Sony SLT-A65, Ike Housing, 2 x DS-161)

#6 sluggo

sluggo

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:53 AM

I flew in December to Grand Cayman, before I checked in, I asked a TSA guy about these (I have 160's)  He gave me a WTF stare, like what was I talking about.  anyway I had them in my carry on, and other than the usually hassles in Charlotte, I ddint have a problem.   

#7 TimG

TimG

Orca

• 1482 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

I was flying in and out of the UK at the end of last week and noticed that KLM's checked baggage prohibitions included lithium ion batteries which they said had to be carried in the cabin.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#8 tursiops

tursiops

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:36 AM

The U.S. issue is SPARE lithium batteries, not those installed in devices. See the FAA and TSA regulations, for example https://www.faa.gov/..._info/?hazmat=7. The spare lithiums must be in carry-on.

However, flying out of Mexico is different; NO SPARES can be in carry-on....including spare alkalines, not just lithium.

People will tell you they've had no problem, but that is an anecdote, not the rule. People will also tell you they've driven after drinking and had no problem. Does that make it a good idea?

So if you are flying out of Mexico through a U.S. connecting airport, your best strategy is to put ALL your spares in checked luggage to leave Mexico, then move your spare lithiums to carry-on before you recheck your bags in the U.S.

#9 TimG

TimG

Orca

• 1482 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:08 PM

So if you are flying out of Mexico through a U.S. connecting airport, your best strategy is to put ALL your spares in checked luggage to leave Mexico, then move your spare lithiums to carry-on before you recheck your bags in the U.S.

Confusing stuff!

Yep, it's spare lithium batteries too in the UK, not ones installed in a device, which can't be hold loaded.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#10 troporobo

troporobo

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

In Asia at least, all airlines are now saying NO lithium batteries allowed in checked luggage, they must be in your carry on. The capacity limits are per battery however not total, and are pretty large, so strobes and spares are OK. No hoverboards though . . . 

#11 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1754 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

ANA to Tokyo says small Li only in carry on, nothing in checked and big batteries are prohibited completely.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#12 Stoo

Stoo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

The issue with lithium batteries as I understand it, is that if they are shorted, than can overheat very quickly, and even burst into flame. In theory, this could only happen if a lose battery comes into contact with metal or other batteries. Batteries that are installed in device are not likely yo create problems.

Batteries should be capped somehow (tape over terminals?) before being packed.

The problem is that most airline dudes probably don't take the time to determine the battery type o tend to respond with sweeping motions that don't make any sense.