• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HyperMac954

HyperMac954

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

So, first outing shooting underwater. Bought the rig at Backscatter, and promptly hopped in at Breakwater. Setup is a Sony NEX-6 with the 16-50mm kit lens, Nauticam housing with Nauticam flat port for the 16-50. No diopters or other adapters. Sea and Sea YS-01 strobe. Vis was absolute garbage down to 30' (see last pic), where it really opened up.

Dive #1 produced nothing good, which was a bummer because I saw a juvie wolf eel swimming around, which I'd never seen before. Biggest lesson learned - turn on the flash. All my pics were either totally black, or totally white after I turned the flash on and realized I had no idea what the settings meant. D'oh! I also had left the camera in fully automatic mode - figured that was best for my first try.

Note: In between dive #1 and #2, a body was pulled from the water. That was a real downer, but a good lesson for the beginner diver we were with to always use the buddy system.

Dive #2, started to get some pictures that I feel good about (because after dive #1 I was thinking I may have just wasted $3K.

So here they are, suggestions would be appreciated. Mean-spirited criticism will be met with snarky retorts.

#2 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

I've decided 5r will do the same as 6 so I bought a 5R housing instead....and a new 5r too.

The kit lens, though tried, does not have enough resolution. All you need is a good prime lens and good lighting

Enjoy shooting

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

I like the light on the first one.  My recommendation would be to try not to shoot down so much.  See if you can get the camera in position to get a nice water background and shoot less of the sand.

Congrats on the new rig!

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom