• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

Has aquatica changed their ports at all? I was thinking about buying a friends gear for his 20d. I would only want to do it if I could use his ports on an aquatica housing for my 5d ii. Are the ports the same? I know they are bayonet style but I want to make sure they haven't changed in style or quality. He doesn't know the model number for the ports but one is a macro (with adjustment knob) and the other is an 8" dome. 

Thanks,

Jim

#2 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

Why not just call Aquatica and ask them?

#3 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Why not just call Aquatica and ask them?

I did but I live in Hawaii so there is a 6 hour time difference and they are closed. I was just hoping somebody on here might know. If not, I will call tomorrow morning. 

#4 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

I think they changed from a screw thread to bayonet way back in the 1990's, long before the 20D. Since bayonet fitting was introduced, all housings accept them. There have been some mods to the macro port but not at the bayonet end. I still use one of the first bayonet focussing macro ports on my system - I guess it must be 15+ years old. All I have done is replace the perspex/glass front. My 8" dome is a similar vintage. I am sure you will be OK

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#5 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

I think they changed from a screw thread to bayonet way back in the 1990's, long before the 20D. Since bayonet fitting was introduced, all housings accept them. There have been some mods to the macro port but not at the bayonet end. I still use one of the first bayonet focussing macro ports on my system - I guess it must be 15+ years old. All I have done is replace the perspex/glass front. My 8" dome is a similar vintage. I am sure you will be OK

Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I will try and call them tomorrow to confirm but thank you just in case I can't get in touch with them. 

#6 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

Hi Jim,   Just a quick note to confirm what JimG has answered is correct,  the Aquatica bayonet port opening has not changed and and all your ports, extensions and gears will work on the Aquatica 5D MKII. Lucky Jean our technical guru is off at The Digital Shootout in Bonaire, he will be back next week.

Joe Bendahan
AKA: Video-Joe
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#7 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

Well, diving is great in Bonaire for sure, but I am still working! ;-) 

The Macro port you describe is the # 18426 AF/MF Macro Port, the 8'' dome is the # 18405, there is possibly a removable dome shade on the dome port as well.

The gear diameter are the same between the 20D and 5D Mk II housings, (we did changed them on the 5D Mk III, to a bigger diameter), and the ports and accessory are pretty much all the same, apart from the O-ring kit. 

Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#8 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

Well, diving is great in Bonaire for sure, but I am still working! ;-) 

The Macro port you describe is the # 18426 AF/MF Macro Port, the 8'' dome is the # 18405, there is possibly a removable dome shade on the dome port as well.

The gear diameter are the same between the 20D and 5D Mk II housings, (we did changed them on the 5D Mk III, to a bigger diameter), and the ports and accessory are pretty much all the same, apart from the O-ring kit. 

Thank you so much. I am glad to hear it because I bought the equipment before I saw your responses. It will be a while before I can get the aquatica housing for my 5d ii, I need to raise some money first but knowing I have the right ports already is a great start.