3 replies to this topic

#1 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hello,

I am heading to the Galapagos in a month, and I have been thinking about how I going to white balance given the conditions and terrain.  I use a Canon 5d mark ii.  And normally WB off the sand or my hand.  Given, that there might not be white sand at wolf/ darwin, and considering the currents, I will be wearing gloves.  What are the suggestions out there?  A white slate can be a little harsh and not to mention a bit hard to deal with in that kind of current. 

I have heard people talk about turning the WB to Daylight, and not worrying about it, and just set the right exposure and I am off.  I am uneasy about this, as I am not an accomplished post production guy.  However, I am willing to listen to options that give me the best chance of success.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Even at Darwin and Wolf, there is plenty of sand to WB off of.  However, many, including myself, WB off of white fins. 

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

Even at Darwin and Wolf, there is plenty of sand to WB off of.  However, many, including myself, WB off of white fins. 

I think I am thinking when I floating in the blue with Whale Sharks.....I don't really want to buy white fins.....

I am not sure why I am surprised that there is white sand at darwin and wolf....I guess I have a different vision of what the terrein is like there.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

Use a grey glove or just put grey/white duck tape on your fins.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Galapagos, dslr, video, white balance, WB