• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kevindale222

Kevindale222

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Hi I posted similar topic on beginners forum but didn't get much feedback. Hoping to get some help here.

I'm a beginner looking at buying a single strobe and arm system for my olympus epl-3 in the Olympus pt-ep05l housing. I am headin to Galapagos soon and will be concentration on WA. I no people are going to suggest 2 strobes but I only want to purchase one at min. Cost and wanting to buy lens/dome/ video light main factor . Plus the fact I would want to have some experience with 1 strobe first.

Can I have some recommendation on size arms? 1 or 2 arms? Make of arms? Clamps? Make and model of strobe?

Thanks guys and gals.

#2 billmackbarnes

billmackbarnes

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

UCLS (Ultralight) makes decent arms and clamps. See the reefphoto website.

You really will want two strobes. You are spending how much on your trip and only bringing back what? pictures...

Two strobes are easier to use than one. Do not point the strobes directly at your subject.(you illuminate the particles in front of your subject. 

Point the strobes so they just overlap in front of your subject. Either side by side or top and side.

For WA you probably want 8 or 12 inch arms. Shorter arms are easier to deal with at first. You might want some STIX foam floats.

Bill

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3068 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hi Kevin,

There are a couple threads in the archive you may find interesting if you do a search.  I think you'll find that a bunch of folks like the 5" and 8" combination for WA.  It gives plenty of seperation and allows you to shoot CFWA if you're so inclined.  Also allows you to just put on the 5" if doing macro.  Lots of folks here like the Inons 240s and a growing contingent like the S&S YS-D1s.  It's hard to beat the ULCS arms and clamps in my book.

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

Hi Kevin,

There are a couple threads in the archive you may find interesting if you do a search.  I think you'll find that a bunch of folks like the 5" and 8" combination for WA.  It gives plenty of seperation and allows you to shoot CFWA if you're so inclined.  Also allows you to just but on thge 5" if doing macro.  Lots of folks here like the Inons 240s and a growing contingent like the S&S YS-D1s.  It's hard to beat the ULCS arms and clamps in my book.

Cheers,

Steve

What Steve Said.

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#5 Kevindale222

Kevindale222

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

Thanks guys.

#6 jackdiver

jackdiver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Nauticam also make arms and clamps that are very similiar to the ULCS.

When I last looked they worked out slightly less expensive.

Nikon D7000, Nauticam housing, YS-110 x 2.