#1 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3027 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hi folks,

I wanted to let you know about a unique partnership that grew out of our last trip to Indonesia that hopefully will help educate children on both sides of the world.  Here is the announcement that will go live on our website today; 

The dive guides of Critters@Lembeh in N. Sulawesi, Indonesia have graciously offered their photographs to the Fin Foundation to help educate the children in the American southwest.  The Fin Foundation in return has made these special images available for sale on their website and 100% of the profit on the sales will go back to the villages to provide school uniforms for the children on Lembeh Island.

Many of the children that live on Lembeh cannot afford to buy the mandatory uniforms in order to attend school.  All of us understand how critical education is to the future of these young people.  Just $30 USD will provide the three sets of uniforms that a child needs for an entire school year. 

The Fin Foundation is a non-profit organization made up of a consortium of marine biologists, educators, ocean enthusiasts, photographers and community volunteers working to bring marine science and ocean awareness to communities across the Southwest U.S.  The Fin Foundation reaches out into classrooms and community forums with presentations on ocean life and marine conservation that allows people who live far from the ocean to experience sea life close up.  Since its establishment in 2009 the foundation has presented to over 75,000 children across the southwestern United States.

Critters@Lembeh is one of the premiere dive operations in the unique Lembeh Strait area of Indonesia, one the most biologically diverse environments on the planet.  The area is renowned for its macro and wide angle photography.  The dive guides at Critters@Lembeh have over 70,000 dives between them and are fantastically situated to capture unique and special underwater images.

A special gallery has been created on the Fin Foundation website and unique pricing is in place to support the children of Lembeh. For more information please go to www.FinFoundationImages.com

Kudos to the dive guides of Critters@Lembeh,

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:50 AM

Good stuff, thanks for doing this Steve.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#3 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2122 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:31 AM

Congratulations, Steve! It's good to see the Fin Foundation going strong.

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3027 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

Thanks guys,

The Lembeh Resort has been supporting the local villages for a long time and it seemed like a good idea to try to help.  I think everybody wins. 

Some of the local kids in their packpacks that the resort provided last year;

Lembeh Children-1.jpg Lembeh Children-1-2.jpg

The great guides at Critters are really impressive people and have put a lot of work into helping us.

low_C@L Dive Staff 2.jpg

I hope we can help them,

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom