• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jasonlandis

jasonlandis

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Has anyone had any experience lighting with LEDs ? I know a lot of new led lights are balanced to daylight so it seems that would be a huge advantage. Especially for macro work with snoots.

I just purchased some ds161's is the video light bright enough to shoot stills with?

#2 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

No, this will not be enough light is most situations.  If you have strobes you will be much better off using them.  The LED's will do ok for Video, but I think they are a little underpowered on the 161's for my taste.

#3 jasonlandis

jasonlandis

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

What about a more powerful light like the ikelite pro-2800 http://www.ikelite.c...s/vpro2800.html

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

Video lights work up to 1/100-1/125 shutter speed faster shutter speeds result in blurred images

If you put a pair of 4000 lumens light on a macro subject you are likely to scar it as fish tolerate more the rapid pulse of a strobe then continuous light

#5 kc_moses

kc_moses

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

From my experience, a 1400 lumen light is just right for macro video and photo. The 1400 lumen light can light up area up to 5 ft in front of you, yet for anything closer, you won't bind them as long as you don't point the light directly at them.

There is however a draw back to use video light for photo, that is you would burn through battery very fast. Battery for a strobe should last about 200+ photos, while if you have the video light on the whole time, it will last about 1 dive. Of course you can turn on the video light when you need to take photo to conserve battery, but then it could be a pain to turn the video light on and off so often, especially if you have a twist type video light.

#6 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1461 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

In the non underwater world, a lot of photographers are leaving the old studio strobes behind and moving to LED panels. See Kirk Tuck (Visual Science Lab Blog) for details.  I think that for many macro subjects you can get buy with relatively high powered LED lights instead of strobes if you take care with local white balance, but I think shooting at f:16 at 1/250 will need strobes.

BVA

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#7 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

Video lights change critters' behaviors a lot more than the flash of a strobe.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#8 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2057 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:58 AM

For what it's worth this was shot last year with a Sola 600 at full power and iso 800, balanced against ambient light in the English Channel:

Plymouth BSoUP Splash-in 2012 089 Fairyland.jpg