7 replies to this topic

#1 HippoFish

HippoFish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hi all,

I’ve got a question about a problem with my SLR/housing system. The camera/housing combo (details below) has been around for a while, so I figured I may be able to find something in the archives addressing my problem but I haven’t found an answer using the search function yet, so I’m turning to the masters here....

A few years ago, after extensive research and reading all of Phil Rudin’s articles, I finally packed away the old Nikonos cameras and made the plunge into the DSLR world, buying an Olympus E-620 along with the PT-E06 housing, the PPO-E05 port, the 14-42 kit lens, and the 50mm lens. I’m using this with an Inon d2000 strobe.

For the most part, I’ve been quite happy with it, though there is one major exception: when I try to use the 14-42mm lens for anything even slightly wide-angle (maybe from the 14-25mm range), I get reflections that show up in the pictures. Since I’m using the fiber optic cable with the strobe, I need to have the camera’s flash on inside the housing, which is where I thought the reflections were coming from. However, last time I took the camera into the water to try to get to the bottom of the problem, I could see in the view-finder that the refections were present even when not shooting, due to ambient light. The effect was amplified if the camera was pointed downward (with the back of the clear/opaque housing pointed towards the sun). I’ve tried putting flat-black tape over any white writing on the lens but it doesn’t seem to help.

I’m guessing the problem must be due to something I am doing since I haven’t seen anyone else report the same problem—hopefully it’s some simple fix but at this point, I’m worried that I’ll have to shell out another $1500 for the 9-18mm lens /PPO-E04 port combo just to take a wider-angle shot. And, yes, I would love to get the 9-18mm lens one day, but right now I can’t afford it. An even bigger worry is if I was to get the 9-18mm lens and port, that the problem might remain.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

greg

Oh, I'm attaching 2 test pictures I took while trying to determine the source of the problem. One was taken zoomed all the way out to 14mm (28mm for non-four-thirds cameras); the second was taken at 23mm (46mm).

Attached Images

• 14mmTest-1.jpg
  • 23mmTest-1.jpg

#2 HippoFish

HippoFish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Ooops, I guess I didn't do a broad enough search--I had been looking specifically for E620/PT-E06 related posts but have just found that this seems to be an issue with other ports/housings as well. 

Since the Olympus port is clear/opaque, does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the sunlight out without having to apply any sort of solvents? Every tape, permanent marker, adhesive that I know of is dissolved in an organic solvent which is likely not going to be great for the integrity of a polymer-based housing....

#3 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

I have a similar problem. Not only could I see the reflection of the front of the lens, I could read the text engraved on the front black face. I used a Sharpe marker to blacken the text, which helped a lot. I also plan on taping a small donut piece of black velvet to the front to further darken the surface.

...STeve
www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/
Canon EOS 5D3, Aquatica Housing, Inon Z220+Z240 strobes, Sea&Sea TTL, ULCS Arms

#4 Brian McHugh

Brian McHugh

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

You are probably getting stray light from the internal strobe that is causing the reflection.  You might try building a curtain that would fit around the lens and block stray light getting into the port area.  Sometimes the zoom gears are enough to block the stray light.

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3044 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Try this one, some good info;

http://wetpixel.com/...1&hl=reflection

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 HippoFish

HippoFish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Thanks everyone for the good information. I just re-read a thread that I read when I originally decided to buy this set-up and only now noticed a tidbit that ce4jesus wrote back in 2009:

" When the 14-42 is at 42 mm there's no reflection either, however when you go wide without the rubber light blocker in place you'll get reflection...go figure."

Apparently, there is a "light blocker" that was supposed to come with the port but I never received--thus explaining why others haven't had this issue with this set-up. I'm not sure what this "light blocker" is supposed to look like (and I suspect tracking one down at this point would be rather difficult) but I will try to recreate it and see if that solves the problem. I'm guessing this is something I could just affix to the zoom gear, but if anyone else has any recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

greg

#7 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

A blocker is a black disc that sits in the "neck" of the dome. I've cut them from black plastic to push fit on the barrel of the lens. I would cover up all the natty silver and gold markings on your lens with a Sharpie or tape, too.

#8 HippoFish

HippoFish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Fantastic--thanks for the description, Tim. Sounds like something I can put together fairly easily. I'll play around with it this week and let everyone know how it turns out.