3 replies to this topic

#1 ksporry

ksporry

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Hi guys,

Early october I'll be around Cebu for holiday. I plan to dive at Mactan and Panglao, reason for those is because they also have non-dive things to do (I am travelling with a non-diver. I tried to convince her but so far no budging...). Bohol has some nice excursions to the chocolate hills I believe, so that's something that will be done.

Other than that, I hope to dive as much as posisble. I arrive late in the evening, so that day no diving, and probably also no travel to Panglao (too late for ferries), so I'm considering maybe staying a few days in Mactan, then a few days in Panglao, and the last day before my flicht (which is early morning) take a boat back to Mactan for somenon-dive activities and getting rid of N2 gas...

Does anyone have any resort/operator recommendations for either location? Mactan seems to be owned by Japanese and Koreans as I could only find japanese and korean websites. For Panglao I heard something about seaquest (their website is down), and Fun Divers.

Any suggestions or experiences (good or bad) are welcome!

#2 frank70

frank70

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

No info on Mactan , but i dove with Fun Divers and they are oke , good banka , diving in front of Alona beach is nothing to write home about .

Diving concentrates on Balicasag island wich were oke.

Maybe try to include a couple of days diving in Cabilao , never been there but i believe the diving is better there , but not much to do.

Frank

#3 Edward Lai

Edward Lai

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

You may want to check this out:

http://www.tripadvis...bu_Visayas.html

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

Check out Plantation Bay Resort.  The spa is good and your better half will be happy while you go diving.  Rooms and service are also better than the Shangri La.  However it is a massive resort (by Mactan standards). I like the Spa room but it only has a queen bed.  I didn't dive with the dive center there so I can't comment on them.  I was there for a long weekend in May so it should be the same still.

The diving in Mactan isn't spectacular but a good way to setup and test your rig.  Of course, you can also take the drive down to  somewhat overly controversial whale shark dives at Oslob. It's about 2 hrs from Lapu2 by car.

As for Panglao, if you do a search for "Bohol" or "Panglao" in this subforum, you'll find plenty information.  I favor Eskaya for the non-diver better half.  Good spa and quiet.  If that's too expensive, the Amorita is good and on Alona Beach.

I find the diving on Balicasag/Pamiclan to be the best in the area.  Panglao Island itself is mediocre at best.  Cabilao is a long 2 hr ride but worthwhile if there is a dive ops who is going.  I suggest you  find the list of dive ops in Panglao, then check their schedule a few days before you arrive.  Then you can dive the premier spots and not the crappy ones.  On days no one is going to the good sites, spend it with your better half! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.