Photo
- - - - -

Carry on durable enough as checked luggage?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 diveski01

diveski01

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, skiing, camping.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

On a previous trip, we were last to board our connecting flight because they filled the plane from the front and the rear first :( By the time we were allowed to board they were forcing the last 20 passengers to surrender carry ons to be gate checked. Once we were on board there were some spots still available in the overhead bins :( Yep, we were totally - well you know. I always have my camera, regs, gauges, and mask as carry on and it's not packed to be treated as checked luggage in the cargo hold. I don't consider these items as optional nor should they be tossed around by the baggage handlers. Can anyone recommend a lightweight carry on size bag that is rugged enough to protect camera gear if this happens? I hate to lug a super heavy Pelican case, but will if I have to. I see that the new lightweight polycarb spinners do not resist compression. They just don't break or tear when significantly compressed.

Becki Gibson

#2 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

I use an American Tourister roller (this one is 4 lbs) and I pack my lenses in padded cases.  My bodies are in my photo vest.  Other stuff like my dive computer, speedlights are also in padded cases then I use day clothing to add extra padding to take away slack and lose areas in the roller.  I do it this way specifically in case the bag gets gate checked.  And if it gets gate checked it generally is on top somewhere and doesn't have a pile of other luggage resting on top of it.  Even with carry on luggage I want it to look "normal".  It's also not a HUGE borderline roller, but a standard one that most would use on an overnight trip so as to not bring attention to it and its weight.  I've done it this way for years and have had it gate checked a couple of times.  No issues.

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com