4 replies to this topic

#1 OJSimmonds

OJSimmonds

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

Hi all,

I was reccomended to post this question here, hoping someone can help out.

Looking for a bit of advice, I am thinking of buying a second strobe for my compact camera setup. I have had a single strobe for a about 2 years and several 1000s photos so would like to explore the option of getting a second to give me a bit more flexibility in lighting subjects.

I currently have a Sea & Sea YS110a which unfortunately seems to have been discontinued and no-one has any stock!

It seems the YS-D1 is a sort of replacement, and it does look a good unit with lots of positive reviews, however my question concerns the use of matched strobes – is it important? I am specifically looking at the colour temperatures of the strobes which are slightly different (5400K versus 5600K on the D1) – or would this not even be noticeable??

I would appreciate any thoughts/comments

Cheers

Olly

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1498 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

A 200 degree color temperature difference MIGHT be noticeable on land, but underwater I don't believe you will be able to notice much of a difference.  That being said, there are probably quite a few 110a for sale used either here or on fleabay.  I shoot lots with mismatched strobes but I mostly (OK only) shoot macro and there color temp is not so important.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Koksie

Koksie

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

I am shooting two Inon strobes, an S2000 and a D2000. The improvement going from one to two strobes is so big,I don't see any difference in colourtemp between the strobes:). Imho you don't have to worry, unless you make professional pics where every little detail matters a lot. In my pics, the differences between te strobes do not show up. I think you're ok, as long as they are the same brand (makes it easier to connect and even that is not always necessary, depending on your set-up).

Edited by Koksie, 09 July 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#4 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

I can not really believe that 200° matters UW.

Do you have Lightroom?

Develop one Photo with 5400K and one with 5600K and then one with 5500K.

Check if you see some difference between them.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#5 OJSimmonds

OJSimmonds

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the answers - I have had a play with lightroom and yes you are right 200K is not noticable when you are looking at the whole picture!

Look like I'll be ok with whatever I can get!

Cheers

Olly