79 replies to this topic

#61 Joseph

Joseph

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Videography

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

LOL.  That's ok.  The agony of equipment buying is something many go through. :)

I think the GH3 should suffice for Bikini.If you are going to use the 7-14.

Are you going on the Indies Trader? Enjoy the trip.

Agony? AGONY!!!  :angry:   The thought process is almost over. GH3 will probably be ordered in the morning.

7 - 14. I have access to a 9 - 18mm Olympus as well as a 14 - 42 so these will be my starting lenses.

Indies Trader - Yep and yes I will have a ball.

So no red filter you reckon? All in Post?

#62 Joseph

Joseph

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

Hmm..... he has two Sola 4000. So even at 50+m, how is it different from doing a night dive at 15m with light?

We still don't know how Joseph will deploy his footage (cinema? online? tradeshow on plasma/lcd tv?). I hope we're not trying to pitch him to get a canon to kill an ant. :mocking:

Its not the Lights its the Camera. My A1p does not handle low light well hence the biggest reason for an upgrade.

Target Market - Trade work. equipment I have is sufficient for what I need to produce for my clients. for my own personal benefit I am wanting better low light capability.

Thanks for the heads up on the LX7 lenses. A friend of mine is about to get some for his unit.

#63 Joseph

Joseph

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

These Clips are from David DB 

My lights + a GH3 = achieve this = Happy Joseph

#64 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

So GH3 is it!

I was just refering to Sola4000+cave vs Solar4000+night dive are similar lighting environment, so if there is a good way to assess the noise level at night dive, it would give a good idea about how it perform when it's down at 50+m.

Regardless, enjoy your trip and do post your video back here!

#65 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Joseph,
I believe those videos from Davide are from a hacked GH2 with high bitrate video.   It's best to compare apples to apples.  I believe Ryan released a video shot with the GH3 in shallow water with the 7-14 and filtered lights not so long ago.  It looked good with better DR and noise than the GH2, but it's not really an accurate comparison, due to the depth difference.
With the GH3, I don't suggest using a filter on the lens.  The image curves used on the GH3 plus a filter underwater will cause the blue/green channels to clip earlier, creating bigger banding issues.  Then there's the loss of 2 stops of light and increased noise.
I don't know the 9-18 Olympus.. The 14-42 is a nice lens but the FOV may be too narrow for the wrecks.

KC,
The wrecks @ Bikini Atoll start shallow and then go deeper towards the 50m/160+  range.  The atoll can have not  so clear sediment filled 20-30m viz which cuts down light.   So while the LX7 will work, on wider shots with natural light, the noise will start creeping in at  even ISO640, not to mention the drop in dynamic range and resolution as gain is pumped in.  Obviously, it's subjective as to what is acceptable quality.
As for night scenes vs daytime for noise levels, not really the same since you are exposing to the lit subjects with artificial light at 3-10ft away, whereas in daytime ambient light shots, one exposes for the entire scene, which is generally lower light, requiring more gain.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#66 Joseph

Joseph

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for all the tips people.

GH3 Housing ordered. Now I can stop about  worrying the decision of "WHAT TO BUY" and start stressing on how to use the thing.

@ Peter BKK - My A1p's assign button allows "No Assign", "Status Check", "Steady Shot" or "One Push WB". Am thinking to do the deep dives in "No Assign". Stops the camera from thinking. Some settings can conflict in Lanc and I do not want that to happen at 50 meters. 

#67 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Well enjoy the new rig and the Indies Trader.  Think about buying the fisheye.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#68 Joseph

Joseph

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

Looks like my gamble of getting a new rig before a trip has been a good one.

My housing for the Sony A1p may not be back from servicing before I go to Bikini. Will have to be a quick study on the GH3.

Have been advised to use 50mb mov for well lit situations and AVCHD 1080/50p or 60p for low light. AVCHD files crashed 7 and I have read 7 does not read AVCHD (unless there is a work around??).

X imported FCP7 no worries but was surprised a 39 sec clip went from 141mb to 

Mind you when I created the 40 sec AVCHD in X my 141 mb file became 1.16gb. I take it thats normal? Am used to my Sony 1080i files at about 38gb / hr.

The converted file can be imported into FCP 7 with no rendering required - until i do any change. Then I feel like I am on a windows XP machine using Pinnacle Studio 

Am I doomed to use X. Will the sun stop rising?

Any tips will be appreciated   :)

#69 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Just stay with ALL-I .MOV 50mbps.

Drew

#70 Joseph

Joseph

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Just stay with ALL-I .MOV 50mbps.

25p or 24p?

#71 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

That depends on your output. For broadcast, 25fps is for PAL countries, 24p for that "filmic" look.   I usually shoot 29.97fps then covert to 24 or 25p, there's a bit of quality drop.  If you are not selling to NTSC countries, stick with 25p.

Drew

#72 Joseph

Joseph

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

That depends on your output. For broadcast, 25fps is for PAL countries, 24p for that "filmic" look.   I usually shoot 29.97fps then covert to 24 or 25p, there's a bit of quality drop.  If you are not selling to NTSC countries, stick with 25p.

Thanks

#73 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Split your post questions here:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=50908

Drew

#74 Joseph

Joseph

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Split your post questions here:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=50908

I feel like a right dipstick not being able to find my own post 

#75 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Sorry. That's really my fault. I didn't confirm my PM was sent before I turned off the phablet.

Drew

#76 Joseph

Joseph

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Final big thank you to all that posted. GH3 vs 5D Mk III vs Nikon vs Xf 100 vs Vs Vs...... The education (confusion) has been appreciated.

Got the GH3 wet in a training pool before my trip to Bikini. 

Easy too use and performing very well.

.MOV and AVCHD files importing in FCPX and can be then used in either X or 7.

Files names time stamped the way I like it.

Pretty much achieved every goal and then some.

May the the Scuba Gods reward you, may your housings never flood, may your video's be ever clear, may your computers always be a Mac (just had to go there  :lol2: )

#77 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

So you are sticking with the 9-18 or going wider?  What port did you get?

Drew

#78 Joseph

Joseph

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

So you are sticking with the 9-18 or going wider?  What port did you get?

Have the 9-18 in there at the moment. Tempted to use the 8mm fisheye as the Sony Housing came back.

Have 3 ports. 1 x Dome and 2 others for the 9-18 and 14-42. Also have a fixed 17 that is supposed to be good in low light. Not sure if I will be using that yet but I'll take it along.

Video quality is beautiful in both AVCHD and .MOV modes (not interested in MP4).

Will post a pic tomorrow when I have finalised the unit. So I still have the GoPro that now sits on the Nautical GH3 which sits on the Sony A1p/Amphibico housing. 

Are the toys we have these days  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

#79 Joseph

Joseph

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

Well its assembled!!

The monstrosity in the pic is as follows (sorry for blurry pic but its all packed now ready for travel).

My GoPro3 (for some fun) sits on the Nauticam Housing of the Panasonic GH3 which sits on the Amphibico Housing of the Sony A1p. With 2 minutes of minor fiddling I can convert the unit to be:

1. Sony + GoPro3
  2. GH3 + Gopro3
  3. Sony + GH3 (with or without tray and grips on the Nauticam)

What have I achieved:

Sony A1P -  Still be used in good light and macro and super macro shots + GH3 with 9-18mm - Mid to wide angle + GoPro3 - Just because I can.

Will it be successful............

Will post when I am back from Bikini Atoll         :uwphotog:

BTW - Thanks to KC-Moses for posting http://wetpixel.com/...ver#entry327851 as it was a big part in making my final decision. 

Attached Images

• IMG_1763.jpg

#80 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

The widest lens in there is the GoPro.  If you do not reposition the lights, your widest lens will have the "headlights" effect because large portions of the upper corners will be unlit.  I would suggest a tri-clamp and hook it up between the 2 big housings.

Drew