3 replies to this topic

#1 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:22 AM

I may have asked about this one some time ago but not sure. If so, I never got an answer. Taken in Lembeh, some sort of goatfish I believe - maybe a juvenile?

Attached Images

• Unknown .jpg

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#2 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hi Jim

Orangy spots very similar to yours are found on Upeneus sundaicus in Reef Fish of the East Indies. It also has the same markings on the fins. You can find an image for U. sundaicus here http://www.google.ca...=21&tx=68&ty=73

The images on fishbase are rather different but those images are not of living specimens.

The confusion is that an image very similar to that of U. sundaicus is shown for U. luzonius on fishbase. 

http://fishbase.sini...esname=luzonius

In both cases the clear difference with your image is the white vs yellow barbels and lack of red bar below the eye. Anyways, perhaps this gets you a bit closer.

Bart

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#3 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

Many thanks Bart. Done quite a bit of rummaging around but there is zilch info anywhere. I have sent it to Aque at Fishbase and asked if she knows an expert to give an opinion.

That sounds a very useful book you keep quoting from so I thought I would get a copy. Then I saw the price! Not saying it is not worth it but that is a seriously spendy tome. So I backed off knowing you are always handy to look things up for me!!

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#4 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hi Jim. It is indeed a substantial bit of money and I had the same initial hesitation. At the same time I knew these were just the books I had always wanted. For some reason it always seems easier to rationalize spending money on bits of gear but these are best fish books I've ever bought. In addition, it comes as three tomes each twice the size (and weight) of Reef Fish Identification Tropical Pacific. Not good for travel but you do get a lot of book. I wrote a review about them on wetpixel some time ago.

That said. Maybe you shouldn't buy them because then we might no longer get to see your great pictures of unusual fish :)

Bart

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE