• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rickcavanaugh

rickcavanaugh

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Is anyone using a standard nautical viewfinder and is able to see much more than 50% of the camera viewfinder?

I bought a Nikon 7100  setup and I am unable to see about 1/2 to 1/3 of the viewfinder even with shifting my head with a mask on underwater.  This is totally unacceptable.  

Is this a defective eye piece or is the only way to make the housing usable is by installing the external viewfinder?

www.scubatripreview.com
www.rickcavanaugh.com

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1497 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

On my 7D Nauticam with the standard 0.66 finder, I can see most (not all) of the camera viewfinder with this, but it is quite small.  Are you sure the camera is mounted correctly in the housing. Take off the finder and look through the empty hole. You should see the camera finder fine, then put back the 0.66 and see what you get.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 rickcavanaugh

rickcavanaugh

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Thanks Bill.

I took the back off and by chance I looked through the viewfinder backwards.  In made things smaller.  Looked through it from the correct side and it magnified things.

They mounted the lens backwards!

www.scubatripreview.com
www.rickcavanaugh.com

#4 rickcavanaugh

rickcavanaugh

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Nope, not it.

The viewfinder makes text larger, but when place against eye and look at something 10 feet away it makes it smaller.  I have no idea how this optic works.

I think it is basically it is a poor match for the 7100.  I ordered the 180 degree external eyepiece. .......

www.scubatripreview.com
www.rickcavanaugh.com