• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Looking at this design, it seems to be designed for single person use and is much smaller and lighter than the film Imax housing.  Look at the lights.  So little power compared to the line fed halogens Howard uses.

It's really nicely weighted neutral. See how he moves it around relatively easily?  It is massive though compared to a Gates Atom but it's good to see ingenuity at work in custom designs.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

Wow. Cabin luggage it is not. Looks pretty well trimmed and the diver could turn it on a dime. I would love to see the footage from the 3D Epics. Soon 3D Epic Dragon. On the big screen I am sure it will be awesome.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

Go visit them in Laguna Beach. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.  

Here's a closeup of the housing.

7543564478_d93a7c6768_b.jpg

It can take Red Epic, F5/35/55. Phantom 65.  Can you imagine 3D 2000fps? :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:36 AM

Mahi-mahi in full breach would be fantastic using the Phantom. Then again you need a jib to haul this thing out of the water. 

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:18 AM

Or a stabilized topside rig.  I was thinking of jaw snapping sharks and birds hitting baitfish. :)

Drew

#6 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

Wow, that's impressive.  That has got to look amazing on a big screen.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#7 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Bloody huge but I bet it is super stable to shoot with. I am leaving next week to shoot with Pawel Achtel's 3D rig, there will be two on a shoot which I actually think will be the first 3D underwater multi camera shoot. I will let you know how it goes.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Jonny, are you and Pawel just going to shoot each other shooting? :) 

Thinking about this rig,  I can't imagine the poor boat crew who have to lug this thing on the boat, without a crane!

Drew

#9 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

hi Jon

Is Pawel going to use two 3D rigs with two different interaxials? He has side by side configuration. Just wondering is the adjustment going to be in post. Sorry for all the questions. One reason why Red Epic 3D rigs has to be the size of a Tut Tut is because of the beamsplitter mirror rig inside. These type of rig requires enormous front flat ports. The adjustment and control obviously allows for perfectly matching lens and movement to reduce aberrations and less work in post. Beamsplitters are not so useful for wide angle but perfectly great for medium to close up work. Pawel's rig has two NikV 15mm wide lens on them. Being side by side makes the housing very compact. I really wish I could try my hands on one. May be next year. Might plan an Aussie trip to shoot some Weedys/Leafys and White pointers. Have a great shoot. Love to see some footage if allowed.

Cheers

David

Edited by CheungyDiver, 18 July 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#10 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Hi Guys,

No drew we have another guy to film us filming ;)

I don't believe that the IA can be adjusted and from what I can gather we can't shoot anything closer than say 1.5m but his design is really for wide angle / big subjects. He has also developed a wet beam splitter with two Deep X housings but I haven't seen that and I don't think it is finished as yet.

Jon

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#11 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Okay. Gotcha. The whales are pretty big even for the humpback calf.  Although the calf could get really close. I think you guys going to get some stunning footage. 

Brilliant idea to hook up two Deep X and an external mirror beamsplitter rig. I wonder which forum inspired Pawel with that idea ;)?  He will need some seriously good rig to stop all the movement. Salt water resistant stages. I can't wait to see that set up. 

Cheers

David

#12 alexstone

alexstone

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

Impressive!!!