• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

Here is WP member Peter Mooney showing off the new Nauticam housing for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in Sydney.  
1044298_627505183936220_395087692_n.jpg

http://goo.gl/MV7z4M    

No news on if the 4k version is supposed to start shipping this week.  I'm still waiting for confirmation and I've sold off my old version already.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Where is the official Nauticam announcement with pics. The 4K version should be great with a S35 sensor.

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Ummm soft launch? :)

Looking at the housing, I'm guessing they didn't bother to allow for additional space for alternative/additional battery sources.   That's the biggest Achilles heel of the BMPC.  I never got it over 1hr recording time when using it in RAW mode on a Toshiba 512GB SSD.  Maybe finding a more efficient SSD might give it a few more minutes.  However, on location without a power plug, it's not going to last a full day's shooting without some sort of supplementary battery.  

Hopefully, the other manufacturers who have said they'd cover this camera will remember this little factoid.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hmmm...How soft is this launch. Don't tell me the BM cinema camera has all the lens controls. One for aperture, one for focus and one for zoom. Even if aperture is set on the touch LCD you still need two lens gear control. Looks like standard dome on the housing. Unless I am missing something. Come on show us more pics please.....

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#5 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

The Rossa has 2 gears so not impossible. It would defiantly be a bummer if there is no space for an external battery.

#6 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

Latest news about the new blackmagic cams from bmcuser forum:
My worry is the heating part of the 4K cam in the report which might cause usability problems such as overheating & fogging :(

Ralph B. says" If the Pocket camera is warm to the touch, the 4K camera is positively hot! I mean it. You would not want to hand hold this camera for very long. Now I know why Blackmagic does not use higher frame rates - the camera would melt!"

http://www.bmcuser.c...om-bm-event-l-a

Thanks to the bmcuser forum & members for the update

Regards,
Thani
Best Regards,
Thani

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:37 AM

Thani, did you not find the BMCC warm as well? I thought it was pretty warm.

Drew

#8 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

Yes Drew, I found it worm. But not "hot" as described by Ralph.
Again, feeling is a relative perception that could differ from a person to a person. Am I making any sense? :)
I hope that it will be just cool enough to be housed trouble free.
Best Regards,
Thani

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

Thani, with your housing, you could put in a fan! :)

If an Epic can be housed without issue, I think the BMCC 4k shouldn't be a problem.  Still I think they still haven't got it down yet, it seems.  Still in testing before release.

Drew

#10 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:19 AM

Thani, with your housing, you could put in a fan! :)

If an Epic can be housed without issue, I think the BMCC 4k shouldn't be a problem.  Still I think they still haven't got it down yet, it seems.  Still in testing before release.

Actually, we are thinking of an AC or miniature cool box :)

Here in our warm waters, heat is a serious issue. Last July, my Fathom port/sony ex1 fogged surprisingly. Never did before. I thought Fathom is ammuned from fogging :(

I agree the BMCC 4K is still work in progress. Hopefully it ships before end of this year.
Best Regards,
Thani

#11 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Hi Thani

Did the Fathom fog inside the lens (its really a converter lens which double up as a housing port)? If it did then these lens is not sealed so if the housing has water splashed (even small amount) then the inside of the housing will be like a sauna topside. Happened to me a few times doing surface of water shoots. Best way to solve it is to keep inside absolutely dry and keep the housing cool. I don't think your custom housing would be a problem. Keep the colour silver and if  the housing above water for any length of time with the camera still on put it under shade or better still drape a wet cloth over it. Evaporation will cool it. Well I guess you must know that already.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Yes. The Fathom lenses are vacuum or nitrogen sealed, so it shouldn't be fogging inside the lens.  However, if it's fogging on the housing side, that's just condensation because there is too much moisture inside the housing.  You can try using desiccant inside the housing overnight, which means packing the camera in the night before and not open the housing.  Otherwise don't bother.
Another possibility is that there's a minute leak and the heat evaporates the droplets which then condenses on the cool Fathom.  Had that happen to me once. Annoying to trouble shoot! 

Drew

#13 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Those are good ideas. Thanks guys.
It is true that the Fathom lens is nitrogen sealed. The condensation was on the surface glass of the port.
Our boat is aircondetioned and we setup in cool air, this help keeps the condensation away. I find this to be the best way to solve the fogging issue hence the sea is usually cooler than the surface.
Sutlan's custom BMCC housing was fogging more since the BMCC emits more heat than the EX1. He rapped a handful of rice in a thin cloth. Threw it in the housing and magic. It solved the problem. And we still had enough rice to eat :)

Edited by thani, 29 July 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Best Regards,
Thani

#14 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

Heh heh. I like the rice solution. You could make the custom housing into a dual use equipment. Rice porridge after the dive. Yum yum.

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

Porridge means flood!!! You mean slightly fried rice.

Drew

#16 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

Hey Drew when was the last time you cooked rice or fried rice? Porridge is just about one can manage for a housing. No need salt too.  You need a wok, hot flame and oil. I guess a superdome could use for that. I can't believe I am saying this. Come on Black Magic Camera what is the hold up get your act together. 

Edited by CheungyDiver, 29 July 2013 - 12:26 AM.

#17 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Heh heh. I like the rice solution. You could make the custom housing into a dual use equipment. Rice porridge after the dive. Yum yum.

hahahah ha. How do you guys knew this? Telepathy!!!! I swear that I always teas Sultan about cocking rice into his new housing as it does look like a rice cooker, especially when the flat port is installed. It is round metallic and big enough.

Come on Nauticam, give us more pics. Get us excited. Personally my temptation is growing..

Edited by thani, 29 July 2013 - 10:47 AM.

Best Regards,
Thani

#18 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Here is an official announcement on 4k & pocket camera availability:
http://www.eoshd.com...camera-shipping
Best Regards,
Thani

#19 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Nothing new said there from the road show estimates of shipping this week.  Personally, I suggest no one holds their breath! :) I lost my breath when that guy said people who ordered the BMPCC, would drop it for the Panasonic GX7.  That analysis alone is enough to avoid that site.
The cameras and housings will come when they come.  I expect my BMPCC to arrive before Feb and the 4k by May.  I know a few other members who have ordered since May this year. I actually hope there is a delay because then other people will find the bugs etc.  There will be a few for sure.

Drew

#20 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

Well it's officially delayed till Aug... errr that's this month! :)

http://www.blackmagi...uctioncamera4k/

Drew