thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

August?!!! Do you really believe that?
I wish they do :)
May be they ship a handful and don't know if yours or mine will be part of that!!!
Best Regards,
Thani

#22 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

Well, I'd rather they work out all the kinks before shipping.   From their press release:

The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is not yet shipping as we need some more time. Our first batch of sensors was delivered only this week, so we have not been able to complete the software for the camera. We expect to start shipping in about 3 to 4 weeks once the final software work and testing is completed.

So August is really September! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#23 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

September shipping is not bad at all :)

Here is my wishful thinking:
+ Good low light sensitivity,
+ Maintain the promised 12 dynamic range &
+ Better controls like auto focus (similar to pocket cam) & clear peaking color like Red

What lenses are guys lining up for underwater shooting?
We just bought the Sigma rectangular 8-16 mm dx (not full frame). Looks good on land
Best Regards,
Thani

#24 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

I am likely to borrow the Black Cameras from my business associates. I think the MFT version is must and hopefully with active mount. I really like the MFT cameras I used as I could basically slap on almost any lens imaginable. My favorites are the old Nikon AIs super speeds with the aperture de-clicked. Works wonders with these cameras even the ones with S35 sensors.

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#25 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:21 AM

David,
Did BMD announce an MTF version of the 4K?
It makes sense for people who will be investing in both the pocket & the 4k

I don't know why people lately seem to prefer the even the passive MTF version of the current 2.5k BMCC
Is it because MTF lenses are cheaper?

Re. the aperture/fast lenses, they are preferred because a fast lens gives you more light or is it because of pokeh?
Best Regards,
Thani

#26 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

no i mean the 2.5k Black M camera. rumour has it there is a MFT active mount. I have some really fast MFT lenses and that would suit situations for top side docu shoots on the move.

With fast Nikon or even Contax zeiss I could shoot low light and also these lenses have very different and nice contrast compared with modern lenses. They have a nostalgic look I guess and age. Believe it or not lens coating of new lenses kills the flares and "character" of the lens. I guess for UW animals lens with character is  no that important and could be distracting. Certainly when shooting narrative stuff or some commercial stuff the DP wants a look and mood to the story. Imperfection to lens coating and colour could create a nice effect. And yes the Bokeh. This is one of my endless search for lenses that has some unusual but nice background blur.

cheers

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#27 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

no i mean the 2.5k Black M camera. rumour has it there is a MFT active mount.

At the price range of US$1,995 the BMCC is here to stay for a while and given BMD has already introduced an active MTF mount on the pocket cam, it is eventual that they do the same for the BMCC. It is worth waiting for given your good stock of lenses :).

Full HD has not gone main stream in all countries/primary broadcasts. So it is still demanded and it will be a while until 4k hit the homes. That's my guess anyways.

Edited by thani, 03 August 2013 - 09:56 AM.

Best Regards,
Thani

#28 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1060 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

The Nauticam NA-BMCC housing has just been added to the ReefPhoto product list along with some associated products. I had an opportunity to see the housing in action this weekend while at the BHB. The housing is quite impressive and looks more like a large DSLR housing rather than a longer video housing like the Nauticam RED housing. It appears in a same size range much like Nauticam housings for the PhaseOne and Hasselblad medium format cameras.

Phil Rudin

Edited by Phil Rudin, 14 August 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#29 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:22 AM

...given BMD has already introduced an active MTF mount on the pocket cam, it is eventual that they do the same for the BMCC. It is worth waiting for given your good stock of lenses :).

I read somewhere that an MFT mount is a physical impossibility with the sensor in the 4K BMCC. But I am very willing to be corrected.

#30 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:44 AM

Nick, you are not wrong. The BMCC4k is S35, too big for MFT.  What Thani is talking about is the 2.5k MFT BMCC.  People think BM will put an active mount on the camera in the next revision. 

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#31 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

Oh sorry. All these variants with different names are confusing. BM blah blah blah. I see now that Thani's emphasis was on the "active".

#32 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hi Nick

Singapore has a Black Magic regional base. The last time I see BM camera is at Broadcast Asia at the Marina Sands. Lots of hype and promises.

Situation with Black Magic is this.  BMCinema 2.5K is ready for the masses but with EF mount. BMCinema 2.5K MFT active - I have not seen one. BMCinema Pocket - with MFT and that is active MFT - a few is around. No UW footage and rumor has it it could do 2K DNG raw. BMCinema 4k - wait until maybe 2014. Anyone please correct me if I am incorrect.

Cheers

David

#33 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

Anyone seen any uw footage of the 2.5K from the Nauticam housing yet? 

#34 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

Kind of wondering when Nauticam is expected to release the housing for the BMCC. It looks like a nice setup. Also curious how and what lenses will be supported with focus and zoom control. 

Did like what I saw from Wetpixels coverage from DEMA. Anyone at DEMA asking Nauticam about this housing?

Thanks,

Espen

Nikon D4, D3s, D2x, etc etc.. Nauticam housing, Inon z240s, Subtronic Mega Cs and housed Nikon Sb900s...

#35 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

Hi Espen

I recently took the Nauticam BMCC prototype to film Great Whites at Guadalupe and I've just posted a short comparison video between the BMCC and PMW200.  (This You Tube version is pretty blocky and the banding is pretty bad, but I'm re-encoding and I'll upload another version when I can and also upload to Vimeo).

I'm still writing down my thoughts on the BMCC.  I only had the equipment in the water for a limited time in not what you would call 'normal' dive conditions, but I guess in summary I really liked the Nauticam Housing, but had some reservations about the camera for underwater shooting. 

I think if you have the ability to shoot 100% in RAW and the time/budget/proficiency for RAW post production then some of my fears would be overcome, but that shouldn't be dismissed lightly in terms of the amount of work that is required.

I'll post the full write up just as soon as I've finished.

Cheers, Simon

#36 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:56 AM

but had some reservations about the camera for underwater shooting. 

I think if you have the ability to shoot 100% in RAW and the time/budget/proficiency for RAW post production then some of my fears would be overcome, but that shouldn't be dismissed lightly in terms of the amount of work that is required.

I'll post the full write up just as soon as I've finished.

Cheers, Simon

Thanks for taking the time Simon! My thoughts on how to use this camera is entirely in tune with what you are saying here. My experience with the BM cameras are not giving me any illusions. They are not capable of white balancing anything. As such prores is off the table for underwater shooting. However. Shooting in Norway I'm struggling quite often to WB on my other cams and find it lacking in quality when the water is very green. Using timelapse raw footage from my Nikons have rendered much better results. I'm keen to try to use this camera as a bridge between the two. I'm not usually shooting fast turnaround projects, but I have other cams for this.

I'm most interested to hear any other caveats you might have regarding the camera though, also in terms of using the M 43 version of the cinema camera. Gears etc...

Cheers,

Espen.

Nikon D4, D3s, D2x, etc etc.. Nauticam housing, Inon z240s, Subtronic Mega Cs and housed Nikon Sb900s...