• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:28 AM

It basically started out as what I do almost everyday and that is go out and take photos/video for myself and for the Diveshop I also work for (Sundive, Byron Bay).  In recent weeks we started to see you annual aggregation of Grey Nurse Shark which move into Julian Rocks Marine park over the Winter and Spring months.  With the Grey Nurse Shark here on the East Coast of Australia being classsed as a Critically endangered species we are fortunate enough to get close interaction with good numbers of the Sharks in a small area around Julian Rocks. I have seen how even in recent years the numbers of sharks that visit increase from only a handful to numbers which are hard to count  (as you can see with the video clip posted above showing the amount of Sharks in a un cropped 5minute clip). From my posting of Video and stills on Sundives Facebook page which also included shots of GNS which had large stainless steel circle hooks:

9365038400_656888389d.jpg9362261291_3dc7a1abf4.jpg

From these stills and video above the staff from Sea World on the Gold Coast decided that they would come down and check if the animals are still in the area. Couplr of dives later and we confirmed that the two GNS where infact still in the area and the rescue mission was given the go ahead for the next day.  Here is a few photos of that event taken from my iphone as I had my camera housed as a backup camera.

9365348656_87aa62e9ab.jpg

Heading down to Julian rocks onboard the Sea World research and rescue boat.

9365352286_933e0cd9dd.jpg

Back of the boat waiting for divers to return after the first attempt of capture.

9365350260_4e9790dfa1.jpg

2.4m Male captured after a 10 minute fight from being lassoed

9365350844_6d2d14fdf4.jpg

Shark with a stainless circle hook from commerical long line fishers

9365349920_7254a8e32e.jpg

The size of the hook removed after bolt cutters where used

It was actually an amazing story to have one of your photos start something like this rescue and to be able to be there through the whole event. 

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3068 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

Amazing Mark.  I had no idea they used Stainless hooks.  How did you "lassoe" the sharks in open water?  Must be very fullfilling, were they able to help all the injured sharks you had images of?  Kudos to the Sea World folks.

Cheers!

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hi Steve.

Stainless hooks are common place in commerical long liners operating out of Australia.  The lasso is fixed to a long pole with a wire frame and clips which hold the rope inplace. Once the wire frame is placed over the animal the pole is pulled away lassoing the animal and then its on for young and old until the animal is tired out and air to removed from its swim bladder. Its an interesting sight and wish I had a camera but unfortunately I had my hands full helping with the lassoed Shark.  There were two sharks which had Stainless curcle hooks one male and one female and it was decided that the female to be left alone as she had a good chance of being pregnant. 

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#4 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Amazing. Thank you for posting. I wish missions like this were more common.