• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

Does anybody know what kind of take to use for this? It's genius. I think it would be a lot more comfortable. Also, I generally carry my housing a few hundred yards to the water so extra grip would be nice. If you skip to the last 20-30 seconds you will see the yellow tape I am talking about. 

Thanks

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

It looks to me as Rescue Tape: http://www.filmtools...escuetape1.html

I use a string going from one handle to the other to carry my rig while walking and to have it handed to me from the boat when i am in the water.

The string is long enough to hang the ring over the shoulder and while i am diving i clip it on a d-ring or use it as leash for the camera if i should need both

hands free.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

That looks like the stuff. Good idea with the string, I will definitely give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

#4 cneal

cneal

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

I have a small rope running through a small piece of PVC pipe clipped to the base of each strobe arm on my Aquatica AD90. Makes it easy handing the camera up to the boat and carrying short distances. But because of the port, viewfinder and strobes I have to hold the housing away from my legs walking with the camera. And a long walk with the 25 pounds gets a bit tiring. (The pair of DS-161's don't help the weight.)

So for carrying to and from the boat I use a padded clip on shoulder strap from an old piece of luggage. I unclip it at the boat and store it in the port cover while I'm diving.  This makes a great difference with the camera when its a long walk from the hotel to the boat.

#5 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

I would also look at the stuff that they use on tennis rackets handles. I created a handle on my rig that can be found here: http://uwcamerastuff...lift_handle.htm handle_0.jpg

The rope solution puts a inward pulling force on the handles, my solution doesn't do that and provides a extra handle and mounting points. 

Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#6 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

Genius. I am not sure How I would do this on my aquatica setup. I will have to try a few things. The arms are so expensive with aquatica I would hate to have to buy more lol. Great Idea though thanks!

#7 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Nauticam makes different lanyards that attach to arms/handles to aid carrying and a way for the boatman to grab your rig.

http://www.nauticam....sp?id=55&sid=10

How about using bicycle handle bar tape on the hand grips.

Edited by eyu, 28 July 2013 - 02:42 AM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#8 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

I wish aquatica did that, that's very convenient.

#9 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

get 2 thin ropes and knot them as a loop on the handles, get a thicker rope and insert it in a hand wide plastic hose, 
tie a simple knot left and right of the plastic tube to block it in position, tie 2 loops with a snap bolt on each end of the rope.

Attach the 2 snap bolts to the loop on the handles to carry and clip them to your bcd while diving.

Use one clip on your bcd and one on the housing if you need your hands free and with a slightly positive rig it will float above you

Voilà, a 2$ carrying handle is made in 10 minutes

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#10 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

Perfect. I will try it